Looking for a good plastic welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a good plastic welder

Does anyone know of a good person who does plastic welding.. or rather a person that does GOOD plastic welding. I need to weld a crack in a kayak, if no one knows someone I will teach myself to do it.
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

It is pretty easy to do and there are a lot of videos on line how to do it.
    http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
    484-459-9863
    If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
    *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

I don't mind DIY too, but I see welding tools range from $20 to over $200. Still not sure how much to spend, but even the cheapies seem to do the job based on video posts.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Someone mentioned earlier that Hobie sells one for a reasonable price. I also remember someone offering to let others borrow theirs for small jobs...

I hope either of those "someones" chime in
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I've done it for a neighbor using this: http://www.tapplastics.com/product/r...d_adhesive/435

I'm not sure where he found it though. May have gotten it off the internet. I just did the work for him because I have a workshop.

Comment

I know it would be a little bit of a haul, but Dave (kayak Dave) at River and Trail Outfitters fixed my keel on my Perception tandem 14. They are located on Knoxville Road, which is located on the right, right before the first bridge at Harpers Ferry. Also they will be having there annual used kayak sale starting October 11, the will post there list on the 10th.

Comment

For what it is worth, I purchased a plastic welder from Harbor Freight. Model number 96721, for about $69.95. had a coupon. It is a forced air 1300W pinpoint welder. The only down side from reviews is that once you are done the job you have to turn the heat to 0 and let the air cool down the ceramic heat coil. If you turn it off prior to the cool down the heat coil will crack. I've used it to fix a couple of deep cuts. Works really well. The only trick I used was to heat the surface and welding rod with a heat gun prior to using the welder. just takes less time. the other trick is to keep the tip moving, if not you may sag the plastic on the yak.
              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
              X