snakehead at Buzz's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snakehead at Buzz's

Michael bagged a snakehead at the docks of Buzz's Marina on St. Jerome's Creek. I'd love to know how it got there because I would've thought it was too salty. The full story is on tidalfish, but here's a pic:

http://www.buzzsmarina.com/index.php?/fishtales
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

That's amazing! In saltwater?!?! Maybe with all the heavy rain the salinity is within its tolerance levels?

Comment

That's pretty wild... think it came all the way down the Potomac? This has been a very wet spring, I guess those things are expanding!

I was at Chain Bridge last night trying to catch some shad with my GF. She caught a few herring but couldn't cast into the rip for the shad. We saw a few snakeheads but the guys with nets and spears were doing a pretty good job on them. The largest I saw was about the diameter of my thigh it looked like!!! Huge.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

im ready for a snake hunt have metal glove will travel

Comment

heard the are great to eat
          good fishing all !
          go tandem or go alone !

Freefall Gemini Tandem

OK Prowler Trident 13 FINALLY in the water !
          a floating work in progress

Comment

snakeheads

a guy I fish with caught four in a day just below Woodrow Wilson Bridge and he caught another one a week before by the 301 bridge
            Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140

Comment

Originally posted by pungomd View Post
              a guy I fish with caught four in a day just below Woodrow Wilson Bridge and he caught another one a week before by the 301 bridge
              What is he using for bait? Snakehead Hunt meet and greet is planned for July

Comment

Snake head is the number one fish on my "to catch" list this year!

Comment

Its the Attack of the Killer Snakeheads. They can go anywhere. Didn't you guys see the movie?

Comment

I watched the Discovery Channel special of invasive species- Snakehead is a top predator that eats its competition and can survive in a variety of waters- and it is supposed to be a good eating fish.
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

make sure you KILL them...

also, you can win prizes for catching and killing them...

http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/ba...t_20110420.pdf
                      sigpic

Comment

That's a long way for a Fresh / Brackish water fish to travel. Maybe they are adapting to the conditions locally and expanding.

Hopefully its just a result of the heavy rains diluting the salt levels. I was surprised when my buddy caught a channel cat this year at SPSP.

If they get a foothold in the bay then i fear for a return of spec's and weaks. One more mouth to feed in the already unstable chain. All the feeder creeks and marshy bays would be a snake head heaven. Lots of structure and loads to little fish to gorge themselves with.

And they could also use this time to expand into other fresh water sources connected to the bay. Its amazing how fast they got a foothold in the Potomac. If they did the same in the bay there numbers would explode in a few years.

I also heard the Blue Cats are coming further down the bay as well.

Things might be changing in the bay.
                        Last edited by mmanolis2001; 05-10-2011, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Invasive foreign species brought over and dumped into our river systems are disastrous- silver carp are one example- snakeheads are especially nasty as they are very adaptive and a top predator- they are firmly entrenched in the Potomac fresh water system. I don't see any way they will be eradicated- and the Blue Catfish are thick down in and around Cobb Island due to the fresh water- as soon as the salinity increases they will retreat into less salty waters. Hopefully the snakeheads will retreat back into the fresh water
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                          X