Bird Whisperer- A step before becoming a Fish Whisperer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird Whisperer- A step before becoming a Fish Whisperer

I thought I caught a nice fish. Well this was the 3rd time I hooked a bird.
    Somehow this bird got it. The bird trusted me. Perhaps, someday, I can make fish jump into my kayak.

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

I have 3 birds myself but no video that's Great.
    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Impressive release you're getting pretty good at that. How was the fishing?

Comment

Glad you were able to give it a quick release. I've had birds hit my lures, but never had to land one to get it off the hook.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

We caught one in the surf Saturday. He was no where near as calm as yours. They must like you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          1980 Something Old Town Canoe
          2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
          2015 Coosa HD
          2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
          2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Definitely a smooth looking release.

I've had a few close calls with birds when casting shallow or topwater baits, I have never tried trolling them and after considering this risk will probably hesitate to try any time soon.
            Mike

Comment

Joe -

That was amazing. You definitely are a bird whisperer. I never caught a bird from my kayak, but have done it many times from boats. The birds have never been stuck with the hook -- they have flown into my line during a cast to breaking fish and get the line wrapped around their wing. Once I get the line wound in close, I get a cloth (T-shirt, towel, rag) and moisten it. I lay it over the bird's head, and the birds calm down quite a bit. Plus it immobilizes their bill somewhat. I can then either undo the wrap, or cut the line and pull the lure out the other side.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Similar thing happen to me at the bay bridge on Tuesday. I was live line a perch & jigging the piling. I heard the zing zing sound and turn around, my line was in the air with two bird fighting over the perch. They got the wp off the hook without hooking themself

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                  Impressive release you're getting pretty good at that. How was the fishing?
                  I posted the actual fishing report on VA forum.

Thank you
                  Joe
                  Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

That was a pretty good bird release. However, I hate to take the title here, but I caught 13 birds in one day. We were chasing breaking fish all day from my center console. We were throwing Kastmasters. So the birds would fly right into the line and get tangled or actually get hooked by the lure. Hey, that's right 13 and with witnesses. To this day, they bring up that story. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, if you should find yourself in a caught bird situation, just throw a towel over the bird. They calm right down lie there. Of course on the 13 bird day, I got to the point where I would just grab them and take the bird bite, which is not so bad. The fishing was too good to take time for the towel. Seagulls are very light in weight.

Comment

Haha nice job
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thank for the tip (towel), Dogfish.
                        I do carry some small towels. I think I will carry a large towel When expecting a 13 bird day. It can be any day from now on.

I caught a large bird at HRBT while lite-lining with Tufnik and Redfish12 years ago. The bird is one of the large birds we see (usually dead ones, with 5'+ wing span) on HRBT and CBBT when driving. I and the bird struggled about 40 minutes in the dark with a dinky LED head light. We (bird and me) got all tangled up with braided line. It was quite an ordeal. Eventually I used scissors to cut the tangled braided lines. I removed the braided line as much as possible, and finally cut the line leaving about 2' of the leader. Because the bird was so frantic, I couldn't use scissors too close to the bird. l felt bad about the jig left on the bird.
                        I was drifted about 3/4 miles from HRBT, and I was all wet and exhausted.

Joe
                        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 09-25-2014, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X