Any experience shipping you Yak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience shipping you Yak?

One of my most favorite places on the planet is the BWCA up between Minnesota and Canada.. pure unadulterated wilderness, no motors allowed, no cabins allowed, strict entry exit permits... keeps this whole place exactly as God made it.. really a special place. I have been there many times with a Canoe. Now that I have a Yak and have seen how much better a yak is for paddling vs a canoe I want to take my rig up there for a week.

Getting it there is an issue however. Have any of you shipped your Yak any distance? how was the experience if you have?
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Shipping a kayak is not cheap. I bought two kayaks last year directly from Native Watercraft (I can do that as a Pro Staff member). They were shipped by freight carrier from western NC to Annapolis. The freight carrier was not willing to deliver to a private residence, so I had the kayaks dropped off at Annapolis Canoe and Kayak, a local Native dealer. The cost for shipping a single kayak is in the range of $150 - $175. If you ship a larger number of kayaks (such as a dealer's order), the cost per unit drops.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

It costs around $500 to rent a canoe from a BWCA outfitter for a week.. and that is a canoe. For $300 round trip it might be worth it. Also I would have my own setup out there in the wilderness.
      People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Or you can buy a high quality inflatable kayak and carry it with you.

Comment

Can't take it on the plane? That's how I used to move mine around in Japan. It's an oversized bag fee... Usually less than $100.

Comment

I flew my kayak from Alabama to Ontario a couple years ago, and Delta actually lost my kayak. I have never seen it again. However, after a lot of paperwork I was fully reimbursed and bought a brand new kayak. So if you do decide to check it, there is always a risk.
            Jackson
            Jackson Cuda 12
            Field and Stream SOT
            "It is often beyond our reach to describe to others the effect upon the soul that the fellowship of men upon a river, rod in hand, brings." John Eldredge

Comment

Haha, some flight crew guy is out there fishing around in your old yak.

Comment

How can a company lose such a large item... dumb.... I would have gone nuts!!!!
                Maria
                GO RAVENS!!!
                D10 Ascend
                http://c85c7a.medialib.glogster.com/...lers-2-png.png

Comment

Working...
                X