Fishing crabs for Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing crabs for Rock

Been finding small 2-3" blue crab in the bellies of fish I brought home. Anyone here use crab for bait, or better yet fake/plastic crab? I know there are some companies that make scented plastics shaped like 3" crab.

How do you fish them, just dead drift?
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Soft shell crabs are excellent (and expensive) bait for rockfish. There are much cheaper alternatives though.

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I fished a few DOA plastic crabs over the years without success. They had little weight and were hard to cast very far.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Joe Bruce ties and recommends a Clouser Minnow in crab colors for saltwater -- olives and tans.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I have also occasionally found small crabs when I have checked in the past and have thought about trying those gulp crabs. I might get some and just stick them on bucktail to see what happens. Hungry stripers are not really very picky eaters anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
            I have also occasionally found small crabs when I have checked in the past and have thought about trying those gulp crabs. I might get some and just stick them on bucktail to see what happens. Hungry stripers are not really very picky eaters anyway.
            I tried Gulp crabs this summer and did not have any success. Additionally, they were the smelliest Gulp bait I have used to date!

John
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I mainly wanted to get some to try dragging in front of reds when I run into them and they are fins up feeding in the sand, but thought they might also work for stripers. Gulp makes really good stuff and thought it would be worth a shot. One of my friends said he actually catches reds using their scent strips when he is fishing off his Navy ship.

Comment

When bottom fishing, peelers have always been an excellent bait.
                2013 PRO ANGLER 12
                2013 Cuda 12

Comment

+1 on the peelers. Rock & perch

Comment

Originally posted by YaknBass View Post
                    In my experience; perch are so aggressive, they'll bite anything. They are fun, and I have successfully used them to knock off the skunk more than once.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Same here, perch have saved the day for me as well on many days! Thankfully!

Comment

Originally posted by YaknBass View Post

Peelers bottom-fished around 8-15 feet of structure are the ultimate anti-skunk bait. They are better than bloodworms because you can use a half a claw, or a quarter of the body and its big enough to keep away the dinks.
                        They are hard to find though, and we're near the end of crabbing season.
                        Peelers are one reason I like going to the eastern shore launches. The Chesapeake Outdoor store usually has them for $2 each, much cheaper than bloodworms. Call ahead.

Another source is just timing your visit to a commercial crab boat coming back in where you're launching. Or, stop by a crab carry-out place. I've offered to buy them direct from watermen, and they have just given me two or three for free.
                        Last edited by Fishinfool; 10-15-2014, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Zman makes a great looking rubber crab. After seeing you the results of your autopsy, I was looking at artificial crabs to stock at the store for next year. If you smear some crab attractant on it, may seem like the real thing. Gulp also make a crab looking bait.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                            Zman makes a great looking rubber crab. After seeing you the results of your autopsy, I was looking at artificial crabs to stock at the store for next year. If you smear some crab attractant on it, may seem like the real thing. Gulp also make a crab looking bait.
                            I was looking at the Zman ones, they are scented. What color would you try first?

http://zmanfishing.com/store/categor.../scented_crabz

Edit add: I bet you could put them on a light-ish jig head and drop them next to bridge pilings. I've seen big crabs hanging on the pilings near the surface.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

All kinds of crabs work for stripers - peelers, softshell, hard sooks (legal on the seaside), calico, and even sand fleas. I don't fish the bayside with bait hardly ever, but in the ocean surf, crabs are hard to beat at times. Depending on the day, one will usually work better than another so I try to toss them on a hi-lo with a different bait on each hook and let the fish decide which it wants. I've cleaned bass pulled from the surf with over 50 quarter to half-dollar sized calico's in their belly. The biggest bass I got last year in the surf (45") was caught on two sand fleas threaded on a 9/0 hook.

The bonus is if big black drum are in the area you're fishing. They love crabs too!

I bought an artificial crab hard lure once and had similar results to John, cast like junk and never caught squat. The soft plastic ones look more promising.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X