base layer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• base layer

Looking to pick up a good base layer for myself. I am not going to fish in real cold weather but would like to extend my season a bit into the cooler weather.. say low 60s. I am looking to get a good all around base layer and am debating neoprene, fleece, or something like an under armour cold gear.

I will have some dry waders (bib style) with the built in stockings and a belt.. and I plan to pick up either a semi-dry top or a splash top.
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

I wear full under armour cold gear, but usually not until it gets to around 40. Once the cold sets in, I feel that anything above freezing is not bad to fish in...
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I hear under armor is really good, my nephews and my brother use it all the time. I just try to stick mostly to merino or merino blend stuff. If you have a costco membership, their merino blend base layers are ok for the price.

Comment

+1 on the Costco set they sell for a great price

Comment

I've been wearing the UnderArmour cold gear for years and they get the job done. I tried a Mysterioso top once and it seemed a lot more comfortable that the UnderArmour. My next set will be Mysterioso. I have a bunch of friends that have them and they absolutely swear by them. You can get it at Kayak Fishing Store and a bit cheaper at Kayak Fishing Supplies. The full set seems expensive, but I've tried inexpensive layered clothing only to find that they don't fit right or are uncomfortable. They wind up in the bin at the local thrift shop.

Comment

I would take real merino wool base layers over anything, inckuding under armor.

However, I have used the cheap costco paradox merino blend on top of Jackson Hole at almost 11k' above sea level and 30 mph wind gusts last year in the middle of winter..it worked pretty well for me, but I also have good gore tex outerwear.

Comment

I use fleece. Under a layer of water/windproof it's good to below freezing.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

I have under armor and it works well. Although I too would recommend something with merino wool and would have gone with that if I knew more.

What I don't recommend are under armor bottoms. They don't feel as nice and have a bit of a "breeze". Definitely merino bottoms or fleece. They keep you warm under your waders.
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I steelhead fish a lot in Ohio and New York and it is often in the teens. I like Simms fleece. It is pricey and worth every penny.
                  Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
                  Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Originally posted by JKay View Post
                    I've been wearing the UnderArmour cold gear for years and they get the job done. I tried a Mysterioso top once and it seemed a lot more comfortable that the UnderArmour. My next set will be Mysterioso. I have a bunch of friends that have them and they absolutely swear by them. You can get it at Kayak Fishing Store and a bit cheaper at Kayak Fishing Supplies. The full set seems expensive, but I've tried inexpensive layered clothing only to find that they don't fit right or are uncomfortable. They wind up in the bin at the local thrift shop.
                    I have a full set of Mysterioso. I absolutely love it. It is really warm. I lucked out and got the full set from the kayak fishing store when they had it on sale a few years ago.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                      I hear under armor is really good, my nephews and my brother use it all the time. I just try to stick mostly to merino or merino blend stuff. If you have a costco membership, their merino blend base layers are ok for the price.
                      +1 on the Merino wool as an under layer with fleece over top.

Comment

Low 60's...T-shirt will work
                        I have UA cold gear and I'm glad people are liking the merino wool because I just bought a smart wool shirt from Orvis that I'm looking forward to trying. Less than 20 degrees and it's pretty miserable, but with a base layer, a thermal and some fleece, you can do it....and don't forget a dry suit/top/waders which do a really nice job of not only keeping you dry but also blocking the wind.

Some hand warmers are great too.

My biggest issue is my feet getting cold and I wear two pair of wool socks.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                        Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                        Alan

Comment

No doubt merino has alot of fans. It works well.

Hanes cool dri and it works in the summer as UPF 50 and as abase layer for moderate cool (40-low 60s). Quite reasonable, if you can get them when they are under $9 a piece.

I got a full set of mysterioso and smart wool socks as well. The mysterioso top doesn't breathe as well I thought it should, and I found myself venting through the neck and even took it off a few times in 30-40F air temp. I was not cold at all. My feet do not like the seams in the mysterioso socks so I started wearing worn out dress socks inside of them. If needed I add the smart wool on top of the mysterioso socks (I hate cold feet). Topped with 5 or 7 mm diving boots.

Comment

Working...
                          X