slight flex in my yak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slight flex in my yak

Is it common to feel a slight flex in your kayak during pitch and yaw? I have a Moken that is 14' 8" and I feel slight flex sometimes in larger waves. I am just wonder if this is an issue, or common.
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

I don't feel any flex in my Revo 13.

However, flexing may be a feature built into you kayak due to its length. Flexing is better than breaking.

Large ships have expansion plates to allow the hulls to flex.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Pat -

There are user group websites for most brands of kayaks. We have relatively few Moken owners on this board. If you can find a national board for Moken owners, that would be a good place to get brand-specific information.

For what it is worth, none of my three kayaks flex noticeably in rough water.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I don't feel any flex in my Outback either. I didn't see your kayak flexing yesterday, it looked fine. I like John's suggestion of finding a forum specific to your kayak to pose the question.

Then come back here and let us know what you find out.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

No flex in my cuda 14 in big waves ( a lot of wet) even though I still consider myself a beginner, the roto mold is thinner than linear plastic and might have some flex. Let us know what you find out.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I have big game prowler by OK no flex at all but it's like a tank 36 inches wide 13 feet long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Donny B.
            OK Big Game Prowler

Comment

I have had some flex in my sit in eagle run. But nothing that has made me concerned about the hull. So far its been my only kayak ive felt that in.
              Tan-Tarpon 140
              Lime-Pelican Matrix
              Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Working...
              X