Lower susquehanna trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower susquehanna trip

ok i am going to leave this thread very broad.....

bunch of buddies... (boats are registered with PA launch permits)
    we are going from Harrisburg to Maryland... i cant imagine it taking longer than three days even without any rushing.... anyone ever done this??? anyone who has done this have anything to recommend? does anyone want to come?

LATE SPRING EARLY SUMMER.

if you have any info help or desire to take part or help. this thread is for you.

www.gofund.me/egkllw
    Last edited by K0ttDiledundee; 10-28-2014, 07:24 PM. Reason: added go fund me link

Isn't there a couple of dams on the way?
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

And a boat load of rock formations.
      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I smell a remake of "Deliverance".
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

well. theres tours you can hire for this trip. and there really isnt that much rock formations or rapids in the lower Susquehanna. check out satellite imagery of the path from Harrisburg to havre de grace. theres little riffle. ive also consulted about 6 different guide maps of the trip. its nothing like the "lots of rock formations" stated above.. perhaps you're thinking of a different trek of the Susquehanna or Potomac maybe. also tour guides ive spoken too say its an easy trip. and as for the dams, you simply portage around those. piece of cake

Comment

Good luck, let us know how you make out. Don't forget to bring a heat gun and welding rods.
            Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I like how not one person has stated they have done this. But every post seems to have some smart ass remark.

Comment

http://www.susquehannawatertrail.org/

Comment

Originally posted by K0ttDiledundee View Post
                  well. theres tours you can hire for this trip. and there really isnt that much rock formations or rapids in the lower Susquehanna. check out satellite imagery of the path from Harrisburg to havre de grace. theres little riffle. ive also consulted about 6 different guide maps of the trip. its nothing like the "lots of rock formations" stated above.. perhaps you're thinking of a different trek of the Susquehanna or Potomac maybe. also tour guides ive spoken too say its an easy trip. and as for the dams, you simply portage around those. piece of cake
                  I've semi researched this and agree that the rock formations don't appear to be a major issue.

But I do have to say a "piece a cake" seems to underestimate the portaging around three fairly major dams. The Conowingo would be more a "pain in the @ss" than a "piece of cake". There are restrictions on how close you can approach the dam. The only way I see is to haul up a step rocky bank to the railroad tracks(marked no trespassing) and then drag your kayak a 1/2 mile to the railroad access road(also marked no trespassing) then across and down the very busy Rte 1 over to Susquehanna Rd., then down Susquehanna Rd. for a mile or two and cut back through the woods to find a launching point.

Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see it unless a vehicle is involved. Please let me know if I'm wrong. I have no first hand knowledge of the other two dams but a quick look at Google Earth doesn't inspire confidence of any easy way around.

Comment

Originally posted by K0ttDiledundee View Post
                    I like how not one person has stated they have done this. But every post seems to have some smart ass remark.
                    There are a few older threads around here with some information on trips in that area. I'll search around and post a link if I can find them.

The Susquehanna in that area has always interested me and I keep an eye out for any information I can gleam.

I don't believe portaging around the dams is really an option unless some serious logistic planning is involved. You may have to find a stretch between dams. I could be wrong and hope someone can come along with more knowledge and information.

UPDATE
                    Here is one of the threads with very good information on a 15-18 mile float and camping trip on the Susquanna. Not quite the trip you plan but looks like a nice one. Good ways above Harrisburg actually.
                    http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ht=susquehanna
                    Last edited by DonV; 10-22-2014, 08:11 PM.

Comment

This is helpful. Thanks. I am still looking into the portaging portion. But once I get my hands on one of these tour guide packs it hopefully has info about how to get around the dams. Im planning way ahead for this reason. Thanks again

Comment

Portaging around Conowingo would be a problem but the water trail is "Harrisburg to Maryland". I would guess that the water trail ends before Conowingo since that Dam is well south of the Pennsylvania/Maryland border. The other two Dams look much more manageable from Google Earth (of course I have never seen them in person). The only thing I know for sure is that there are some big largemouth bass in Conowingo Reservoir.
                        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

ill let you know if i get any on my way through

Comment

In my time on Gods earth, I have fished this river from Binghamton NY to the Susky flats, basically (from the beginning to the end) hope I am not one of the smart ass comments you refer to. If so then I will refrain from further comment.
                            Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

ok after some research. the dams are no problem to portage around.

<<<<<"How do we get around the dams?
                              Portage landings and contact information for all the dams are indicated on the Water Trail Map & Guide. Dam operators will provide paddlers with shuttle service around the dams at Safe Harbor and Holtwood. Be sure to provide advance notice of your arrival." >>>>

taken from the susquehanna river trail dot org websites frequently asked questions. theres only one other dam that im not seeing anything on yet. but im thinking we will prolly pull out before conowingo dam so if we only have to portage around one dam im fine with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X