New guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy

Just learned about Snaggedline at the Seneca Creek SP seminar held last weekend by Jeff Dave and Jed. Thought I'd say hello. Hopefully my status as a canoe fisherman doesn't disqualify me from participation! I'm in Silver Spring and spend most of my time fishing for SMB on the Potomac. Eager to head north to the Susky sometime. Fished that river as a kid in NY state. I'm a wildlife biologist with a new administrative job in the metro area so looking to get my nature fix on the water and in the woods (avid hunter too) rather than on the job. Look forward to meeting some folks.

Steve

Steve,

Welcome to the forum. It's good to have you with us.

There are some posters here who frequent the Susquehanna with great success.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Welcome to snaggedline. I'm a lifelong canoe guy too (16' Oldtown Camper), only watercraft I have ever owned. Retired fisheries guy from MD-DNR. You ever fish at Fletchers or Chain Bridge on the Potomac?
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Welcome! Not much will disqualify you here. I think Metroman's working on catching fish from a plane or something like that.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

Welcome!! If there is water somebody on this site has probably fished it!! all the best & tight lines!!

Comment

Welcome to Snaggedline! Nothing wrong with fishing from a canoe. It's pretty much just a goofy looking kayak anyway (or is it the other way around)...

Lots of prime deer hunting areas outside of DC as well. Gone are the days of trudging over 10 ridge lines to get to a good stand in the mountains. I've seen more (and better quality) deer in a day hunting in the populated areas around Baltimore and DC than I used to see in an entire season.
            Mike

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've yet to fish the Potomac below the fall line. Mostly between Brunswick and MOM. Riverbend too. Used to float the Monocacy from Pinecliff to Park Mills with a buddy in my OT Disco169 but that's a barge by myself so picked up a Wenonah Rondezvous 15'8" solo boat and got it rigged out for fishing this past summer. The thought of dumping it in cold water has kept me off the river in the colder months so a SOT kayak may be in my future. Been in MD for about 15 years now, but my job for the past 12 kept me on the Eastern Shore Mon-Fri where sadly, I did not take as much advantage of the fishing opportunity there. Truthfully, I'm a more avid bow hunter, but in the past few years I've been re-exploring what first drew me to the outdoors.... River fishing for SMB! And having a blast. Still searching for that 20" fish! Look forward to running into some folks with similar passions.

Comment

All paddles and pedals are welcome, heading out on the Susky tomorrow 3 hours before high tide. Was waiting on wind conditions, lookin good.
                Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Welcome aboard!

I'm a bowhunter too, but got hooked on fishing the bay and didn't even pick up a hunting license this year. Lots of places to hunt around here. Even had home owners ask me to hunt on their property in the past.

Back to fishing. Get a SOT kayak and join us on the bay, you will never be the same. LOL
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                    Welcome aboard!

I'm a bowhunter too, but got hooked on fishing the bay and didn't even pick up a hunting license this year. Lots of places to hunt around here. Even had home owners ask me to hunt on their property in the past.

Back to fishing. Get a SOT kayak and join us on the bay, you will never be the same. LOL
                    Hmmm. My wife might have more appreciation for my hobby if I were bringing home fresh rock fillets once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by icanoe View Post
                      Hmmm. My wife might have more appreciation for my hobby if I were bringing home fresh rock fillets once in a while.
                      It's all about keeping the family happy.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Welcome aboard. I fished from a canoe for 30 years. Once I got a taste of kayak fishing, it was all over for the canoe. Kayaks are more comfortable, easier to maneuver, and faster than canoes (in my humble opinion). A couple of hours in the canoe would wreak havoc with my admittedly compromised back. I can pedal my Hobie all day without any problem (and I'm 66 years old). I would take odds that sooner rather than later, you will be fishing out of a kayak. Even if you don't, like someone else on here said, all types of paddlers are welcome. They're a great group of guys and gals who are selfless in helping others enjoy the sport they love.
                        Carpe Pisces

Comment

Working...
                        X