Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave - question - Ride 115 or Tarpon 100

Dave,

This will sound weird, but hey, I've been accused of that before. Anyway I just joined this site for the sole purpose of asking you a question. My son, having sold his old Kayak is in search of a new one. The search seems to be narrowed down to the Ride 115 and Tarpon 100. Lo and behold I found your tag line showing that you have experience with both boats!

He has already paddled the Ride 115 and liked its stability. He hasn't tried out a Tarpon 100 yet, because we can't find anyplace to Demo one. (He tried the Tarpon 140, but that's really different)

He's a novice paddler and his skills tend to progress very slowly. He paddles small class I streams, (like the Gunpowder river or parts of the Potomac) and lakes (like Lake Roland, Redman, Conowingo Lake) but may eventually venture to protected areas of the Chesapeake Bay. His last boat was inexpensive and tippy. He would flip 3 to 5 times on a trip in the gunpowder and occasionally in flat water. This time around I want him to feel more confident in his boat.

So here's the question. It seems like the Ride is super stable, and a great boat. If it wasn't for the fact that we sometimes paddle moving water, I would absolutely buy the Ride 115. My reservation is that it seems to track straight, which might be a negative for him, because I question its manoeuvrability in moving streams, when he may react slowly and get pushed by the current into an obstacle or a bad situation, such as a strainer(downed tree or the like) or shoved into the rocks or river bank. I also have read that the Ride is harder/slower to paddle. But the stability is worth more than the fact that it's harder to paddle.

The Tarpon 100 also seems like a great boat. It seems stable, though not as much as the Ride 115. It's main advantage seems to be that it's lighter, more maanoeuvrable, and easier to turn. It also seems less affected by cross currents in streams and rivers It's only downside is that it's not as stable as the Ride. By the way, he won't be standing or fishing from the kayak.

Well, if you read this post I'd really like to hear your thoughts, since you're the likely expert on the two boats. I told him I'd buy him half a kayak for his birthday and he's about saved up enough for a used boat and is on his way to enough for a new boat. Price is not the issue. Successful paddling is the only issue. Do you have any thoughts to guide the decision?

THANKS,
    mrock

lot of guys use the Ride in fast moving waters with no issues.

You can probably find one a few years old w/ the old seat for a really good price now.

Comment

If the additional weight of the Ride 115 is not an issue for carrying to the water, etc. and the Ride is in the budget for most I would recommend the Ride as a fishing platform. I am 6'0" and 185 pounds and I was standing up paddling around the upper Potomac within 60 minutes of purchasing the 115. I have never actually accidentally turtled either the T-100 or the R-115 (both are very stable kayaks) but I have intentionally rolled both to see where the tipping point is. It is very hard to turtle a 115 from a seated position, I literally had to throw myself to the side while gripping the handles.

Age, height and weight for your son? The reason I ask is that I know a couple of Wilderness Systems Pro Staff guys and I can run this question by them. I suspect for some very small paddlers the T-100 is easier to handle on the water. However, at my weight, I am actually faster in the 115 than the Tarpon.

Also, I am in Gaithersburg Maryland and if you two are free on a weekend I would be more than happy to let him get a test paddle in with both kayaks.

Oh, and welcome to SnaggedLine by the way!
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Dave,

Wow, what a terrific reply. My son is 16 and has paddled for 3 years. He's 5'8" and probably about 145, but we're trying to buy a "boat that will last a lifetime." So like buying shoes that your child will grow into, we're shopping boats the same way.

We really appreciate the invitation to test paddle the two boats. I'll keep an eye on the weather. We're only about an hour away. I suppose this is the best way to reach you, but if you prefer phone or email I can be reached at 443-761-188zero or tmrock@ yahoo . c o m

Thanks again. Hopefully we''l be able to meet up soon.

mrock & son

Comment

just sent you a PM
          Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
          X