Waterproof Cell Phone Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterproof Cell Phone Case

Hey guys just got a new phone (Samsung S5) after washing my cell phone with salt water. I was wondering if anybody here has a good and maybe proven waterproof case brand they can recommend.

I have seen dry bags designed for phones that still allow you to use the touch screen, make calls, etc. without taking them out.
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
      Hey guys just got a new phone (Samsung S5) after washing my cell phone with salt water. I was wondering if anybody here has a good and maybe proven waterproof case brand they can recommend.

I have a life proof. It definitely works and my phone has been underwater a few times.

I did lose my phone over the side of my kayak in a pond. I have since added the life jacket that life proof makes as well. It's a bright orange flotation device that goes over the water proof case. It makes your phone too big to put in your pocket but all the features of the phone are fully functional.
      1980 Something Old Town Canoe
      2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
      2015 Coosa HD
      2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
      2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

The S5 is supposed to be rated with a IP67 certification. Shouldn't that mean you would be ok if you take a dunk (while it's in your pfd) and rinse off your phone with fresh water?
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Waterproof Cell Phone Case

I have a lifeproof case, it has been in the water, and dropped...so; "idiot resistant" has been proven.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Just found this:

"the IP67 certification is real, despite that Samsung humbly calls the phone "water-resistant". It not only survives splashes of water jetting on it from all sides, but can also be immersed fully in up to three feet of the liquid, and stay there for half an hour, just as its IP67 tag suggests."

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsu...-water_id53910
            -Mustafa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
              I have seen dry bags designed for phones that still allow you to use the touch screen, make calls, etc. without taking them out.
              I have the new lg 3 i use one of the phone bags with the suction ball works great just get the right size your phone
              Originally posted by willf650 View Post
              I have a life proof. It definitely works and my phone has been underwater a few times.

I did lose my phone over the side of my kayak in a pond. I have since added the life jacket that life proof makes as well. It's a bright orange flotation device that goes over the water proof case. It makes your phone too big to put in your pocket but all the features of the phone are fully functional.
              Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
              The S5 is supposed to be rated with a IP67 certification. Shouldn't that mean you would be ok if you take a dunk (while it's in your pfd) and rinse off your phone with fresh water?
              Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
              I have a lifeproof case, it has been in the water, and dropped...so; "idiot resistant" has been proven.
              Donny B.
              OK Big Game Prowler

Comment

I flipped my kayak coming into the beach at cbbt last weekend and ruined my s4. Just got the s5 active. The s4 in an otter box was a tight fit inside a small plano waterproof, but that is what I usually used. Of course I did not have my phone in a case the one time it mattered. I also have a dry bag that will fit my s5 active, which is slightly larger than the s4.

My s4 might have actually survived, but the battery terminals were actually corroding over time from so much exposure to salt air and one of them broke when I tried to remove the battery and dry it off. The s5 is a much better design, but I do not entirely trust the waterproof rating and will still keep mine in a dry bag when not in use.

I looked into getting a lifeproof case, which might be the best thing to get. But they do not make it for the active version of the phone.
                Last edited by JohnE; 10-27-2014, 10:12 AM.

Comment

I bought the S5 because it is essential waterproof ........ I also bought a case for it for the shockproof stuff I couldn't find a waterproof case for it when I bought mine ......... I want 1 that floats like the life proof lifejacket

Comment

I have a Lifeproof Nuud. I dropped it in Spa creek in 8ft of water where it stayed for about 45 min before being recovered. Iphone was perfectly dry. So the only issue I have with it is that it doesn't float. I now have it tethered to my PFD now. I really like the Lifeproof because it's not too bulky.
                    John D.
                    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                    GO RAVENS!!!
                    GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                      I flipped my kayak coming into the beach at cbbt last weekend and ruined my s4.
                      Did you turn sideways while coming in?

Don't mean to hijack the thread. LOL back to the subject

I like having a 'naked' phone... companies spend a ton of $$ on the design and feel of a phone, I kind of feel it is a waste to slap a cover on it and throw it all away.

I have a water proof camera I use for my pics, but the negative part is I can't send out live pics like the famous trend Cowpokey started (which is totally awesome!).

I'm looking forward to the S6.
                      -Mustafa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

By the way John and Dao, LifeProof (which is recommended from a lot of people I know including the guys that responded above) makes a case for the S5 if your still interested in putting on a case: (kinda nice actually... I may change my mind for the S6...)

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en/...e/?path=TopNav
                        -Mustafa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Thanks all for the advice and yes while the S5 is "water resistant" I am skeptical of "Salt Water Resistant" and like you Mustafa I like to use the phone without a case and was just planning on slapping the case on when on the water with a float. JohnE thanks for the heads up I need to do a better job locking my stuff down and need to put a locking lid on my crate. My wife also knows me pretty well and opted for insurance on the phone as well she knows I am not idiot-proof.

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                            Did you turn sideways while coming in?
                            Night time in rough conditions, ramp area was blocked by surf fisheman. Could not see and a big wave came up behind me and turned it sideways onto the beach. I guess I am not used to surf launches in the outback yet...well actually surf return, launching is not the problem. Plus, I was going on well over 20 hours of fishing from Fri morning to Sat evening with very little sleep and was thinking very clearly at the time.

I could handle the surf fine in my wilderness yaks. One of the things I found that I actually do not like about the outback is how it handles in heavy cross current and waves following behind.

Comment

Thanks all for the advice and yes while the S5 is "water resistant" I am skeptical of "Salt Water Resistant" and like you Mustafa I like to use the phone without a case and was just planning on slapping the case on when on the water with a float. JohnE thanks for the heads up I need to do a better job locking my stuff down and need to put a locking lid on my crate. My wife also knows me pretty well and opted for insurance on the phone as well she knows I am not idiot-proof.
                              I have a Casio Commando smart phone for a year and a half. It was the first "tough" smartphone. I carry it my life vest all the time and fish saltwater around 50 times a year. I just rinse it off under the faucet. It has been dropped into the bottom of the yak into scupper hole splash, and dropped onto cement from 4 ft. All is fine. This is the third Casio tough phone I have owned, the others were the flip type. All have worked well thru tons of abuse. The one issue with the Commando is that when the screen is really wet, the touch sensitivity fails. Thus, I have added a VHF radio to the vest for safety purposes.

Comment

Working...
                              X