Fishing gods know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing gods know

i was invited to go rock fishing on a friends new boat, great 23' Key West. We headed out into the Patuxent and saw a fleet near the air base. We fished for a while around the edges with no luck. We saw a yak that seemed to be attracting fish so we decided to head in his direction. I placed my Loomis rod into an unfamiliar rod holder before we headed out. Well, let's just saw the fish/kayak gods were angry with me for being in a power boat and they flung my rod into the deep when we started to move. Lesson learned and now the persuasion of my spouse begins again. Sorry fishing/kayak god.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

I've heard too many of these types of stories on fishing forums....I always use my leashes in the yak when trolling even though it is a hassle sometimes. Sorry for your loss, Loomis are nice rods.

Comment

Punishment for disturbing the kayak fisher's mojo. I've posted and read about boats running to kayaks when they see us catching fish. Powerboats can easily move around the whole bay, stay away from kayak fishers. We work hard for the fish we catch and don't need boats driving the fish away.

Stepping of my soapbox.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Sorry to hear you lost the rod but welcome to the not so exclusive club.

I'll never understand the boater mentality of riding right up next to another craft that is catching fish. That never happens with people fishing from shore, except maybe trout fishing on opening day.
        I'm not assuming you guys ran right up on someone, just a general observation of what seems to be a lot of boaters. Right up there with glitter boys going full throttle so close that they barely miss others.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
          Punishment for disturbing the kayak fisher's mojo. I've posted and read about boats running to kayaks when they see us catching fish. Powerboats can easily move around the whole bay, stay away from kayak fishers. We work hard for the fish we catch and don't need boats driving the fish away.

Stepping of my soapbox.
          Amen
          Jackson
          Jackson Cuda 12
          Field and Stream SOT
          "It is often beyond our reach to describe to others the effect upon the soul that the fellowship of men upon a river, rod in hand, brings." John Eldredge

Comment

I agree with everything you say about running up on a kayak. In this case he was in the middle of about a dozen boats and several hundred birds. We 3 mph "ran" over to the area following the birds and kept our distance as all of us on the boat are yak fisherman (my rod was very poorly placed by me as it pretty much fell overboard with little assistance) I did say hi and asked him if he was on Snaggedline, which he wasn't but was glad to hear about the forum.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
              I agree with everything you say about running up on a kayak. In this case he was in the middle of about a dozen boats and several hundred birds. We 3 mph "ran" over to the area following the birds and kept our distance as all of us on the boat are yak fisherman (my rod was very poorly placed by me as it pretty much fell overboard with little assistance) I did say hi and asked him if he was on Snaggedline, which he wasn't but was glad to hear about the forum.
              Yeah, if I'm already in with the boats its not a big deal. When a few kayaks are of by themselves and a boat rolls up 20' away is when I get irritated.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Hmmmm, yakfishers in a motor boat, could this be an "oxymoron" Yakfish Gods don't like that. Sorry for the loss of your rod. Just think, if you were on your yak you would have your rod.
                Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
                X