No announcement yet.

winter clothing suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I am about to buy some kind of dry suit and need a final push to help me decide.

I was all set to buy a Kokatat supernova drysuit, but now I am having second thoughts. It seems like buying seperate dry pants w/socks and a splash jacket would be more versatile and a bit cheaper then going with a full suit. I could see myself using just the pants for a long wet launch in the fall/spring, or as waders when I go creek stomping. Same thing with a separate top, I could have both a light and heavy one to change out as the seasons change.

My question is, would I be sacrificing too much safety by going with a two part system?

FYI, I am looking at the Kokatat tempest pants and kanppseter splash top. I like the idea of a lighter top as I almost allways overheat when I buldle up and do anything aerobic. I also already own a great rain jacket/soft shell I could wear over it as an additional layer.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Not trying to sway you one way or the other, but a good set of dry pants and a good top, is not going to be cheap either. I'm not an expert, but the difference in price between those options; I'll take the dry suit with relief zipper.

Less likely to upset balance on the kayak, and less exposure to the elements if/when you need to drain the bladder.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
        Sorry to bump an older thread, but I am about to buy some kind of dry suit and need a final push to help me decide.

I was all set to buy a Kokatat supernova drysuit, but now I am having second thoughts. It seems like buying seperate dry pants w/socks and a splash jacket would be more versatile and a bit cheaper then going with a full suit. I could see myself using just the pants for a long wet launch in the fall/spring, or as waders when I go creek stomping. Same thing with a separate top, I could have both a light and heavy one to change out as the seasons change.

My question is, would I be sacrificing too much safety by going with a two part system?

FYI, I am looking at the Kokatat tempest pants and kanppseter splash top. I like the idea of a lighter top as I almost allways overheat when I buldle up and do anything aerobic. I also already own a great rain jacket/soft shell I could wear over it as an additional layer.
        "Splash tops" are designed to protect you from paddle splash and light rain. Unfortunately they offer you no protection if you go for a swim in water that is cold enough to kill you.

http://www.nrs.com/cold_water_layering.asp

"Splash wear is simply any waterproof outer layer that is designed to keep your under layers dry if you get splashed or rained on. If you’re using neoprene as your insulation layer, wearing a waterproof garment over it will cut down on evaporative cooling from the wet outer fabric of the wetsuit. If you go for a swim in splash wear, your inner layers will get wet.

Semi-dry wear is your next step-up in protection. These garments, in tops and full suits, use either neoprene gaskets, or a combination of neoprene and latex gaskets, to block water entry. Neoprene gaskets aren’t as efficient at keeping water out as latex, but they’re more comfortable and less expensive.

Drywear can be separate tops and pants, or full-coverage drysuits. These garments use latex gaskets and latex or fabric socks to totally block water entry. This totally dry system allows you to customize your comfort and protection level by adjusting your under layers to match weather and water conditions.
        "
        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
          I'll take the dry suit with relief zipper.
          Ah, I knew I had forgotten something. That is a pretty good point in favor of a full suit.

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
          Splash tops v semi-dry v dry info
          Thanks, I was aware there must be a difference between semi dry and dry but never found it stated so clearly. I had assumed a splash top was less literally named but was clearly wrong.

So for a top, a semi-dry top like an NRS Stampede seems like a good compromise. I like the idea of a more comfortable but less sealed neck gasket paired with more waterproof wrist gaskets.

Sadly anything I buy is going to come out of my "peddle kayak fund" but I think that not being able to get on the water for the next few months isn't an appealing option. I think on friday I will just have to pick something an order it so I can make good use of the next two weeks I have off.
          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
            Awesome deal on semi dri top to wear with waders
            http://www.amazon.com/NRS-Rio-Top-Pa...kpaddle+jacket
            I have the yellow one. Good quality very durable. I wear it now and year around. I keep it in the zip bag under the hatch when the rain and strong wind is expected in summer.
            The jacket is splash proof. The water will come in when dunked. However it kept me warm for a long time on freezing day until I got back to my truck because it is a good wind proof jacket.

Joe
            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
              So for a top, a semi-dry top like an NRS Stampede seems like a good compromise. I like the idea of a more comfortable but less sealed neck gasket paired with more waterproof wrist gaskets.
              Yep, with your PFD on when you pop to the surface your head will be up, you may get a little leakage at the neck compared to a latex neck gasket but with no other water entry you will not get soaked.

p.s. - I wear those Kokatat Tempest Pants with Socks (and a NRS drytop), that double tunnel on the drytop provides for a good seal at the waist with those pants
              Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post

p.s. - I wear those Kokatat Tempest Pants with Socks (and a NRS drytop), that double tunnel on the drytop provides for a good seal at the waist with those pants
                I do the same except I have an immersion research dry top.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Working...
                X