No announcement yet.

winter clothing suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My next safety equipment purchase will probably be a new PFD. The one I have is nice, but I don't know how it will fit over the suit and layers inside. It's a perfect fit with a fleece top or teeshirt, but might be too tight with the cold weather setup.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

That sounds like a whole new thread and a good one too, cowpokey. I'm using a bass pro pfd and it works fine. Does anyone need more buoyancy when wearing a drysuit? I dunno, but my guess is no. If your bmi is higher you need less buoyancy, not more, so this not easy to figure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HawkGT View Post
        That sounds like a whole new thread and a good one too, cowpokey. I'm using a bass pro pfd and it works fine. Does anyone need more buoyancy when wearing a drysuit? I dunno, but my guess is no. If your bmi is higher you need less buoyancy, not more, so this not easy to figure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        My normal BMI is pretty low, but with layers under a (semi) dry suit, my BMI will be crazy high with all the trapped air inside. Still wouldn't get on the water without a PFD though, that's just asking for Murphy to make it a Dawin event. LOL
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
          I'm 6' 3" and a buck-seventy-five. My wife calls me things too, but I turn sideways and it goes right by.
          Nice! It's a work in progress for me.

I saw your post on the Kokatat dry suit. Good choice. Just a few months ago I had my 5 or 6 year old dry suit in for the repair of some pinhole leaks in the feet. They were going to replace the feet free of charge, but found some delamination issues elsewhere. They wound up replacing the suit under warranty. Since they no longer make the Tropos suit, they gave me a brand new Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler at no charge. They even sent it expedited freight prepaid so I'd have it for the last tourney of the season. Unbelievable service! Kokatat is the best!

Comment

Originally posted by JKay View Post
            Nice! It's a work in progress for me.

I saw your post on the Kokatat dry suit. Good choice. Just a few months ago I had my 5 or 6 year old dry suit in for the repair of some pinhole leaks in the feet. They were going to replace the feet free of charge, but found some delamination issues elsewhere. They wound up replacing the suit under warranty. Since they no longer make the Tropos suit, they gave me a brand new Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler at no charge. They even sent it expedited freight prepaid so I'd have it for the last tourney of the season. Unbelievable service! Kokatat is the best!
            I've heard nothing but good things about Kokatat products, customer service and standing behind their products. I'm really looking forward to it. The relief zipper will make emptying the bladder much simpler.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

6)I am 6'2" 180lbs, I bought the Kokata tempest dry pants in large and they have room to spare. I bought a separate semi dry top (Level 6) in XL with layering in mind . Went out yesterday morning on the flats to give it a try. Only problem was keeping my feet warm, I had insulated socks on but the feet were still cold. Once I returned and pulling yak out of the water, I put the combo to a test. I went for a short dunk off the ramp, 52 degree water temps, a bit chilly. The only thing wet when I got out of the water was my head. Oh by the way, about 2 hours into fishing I tried out the bladder relief. It was a bit tricky separating all the layers but was successful. Oh forgot to mention caught one fish, 23 1/2 in striper, but forgot my phone for pics. so I released it for another day.
              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Back again, what is a good recommendation to keep your feet warm without the bulk of boots?
                Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I have the same pants, I use two pair of socks, one thin wicking and a thicker pair, then use a pair of NRS Neoprene zip up boots, not bulky at all, seems fine for me, but I am just about done going out this year.........Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
                    I have the same pants, I use two pair of socks, one thin wicking and a thicker pair, then use a pair of NRS Neoprene zip up boots, not bulky at all, seems fine for me, but I am just about done going out this year.........Jack
                    thanks I will look into the zip up boots. I may have one more day trip left in me, but I am really getting tired of the southern winds kicking up and shorting my trip.
                    Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I got some neoprene glove at BPS on Sunday, they were $16.99 and have finger cut outs for index and thumb.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...product/73534/
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Got my Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler from Kayak Academy today. I was concerned XL would be way too big around, since I had to get that size to cover my height, but it is less poncho like than I thought it would be. Will be testing it out soon, with the cold weather coming in.

Attached Files
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

With PFD, gloves and wading boots. I am going to get something different for footwear, like neoprene booties with rubber soles. I don't want to use felt soles in salt and sand.

Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                            I am going to get something different for footwear, like neoprene booties with rubber soles. I don't want to use felt soles in salt and sand.[/IMG]
                            just a heads up, I think felt soles are banned in Maryland

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/D...t_sole_faq.pdf
                            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
                              just a heads up, I think felt soles are banned in Maryland

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/D...t_sole_faq.pdf
                              Thanks for the heads up! I did not know felt soles were banned while I was overseas.
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

I have the same suit, Carter! Ready to try out the relief zipper
                                2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                                2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                                2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Working...
                                X