No announcement yet.

December meet and greet - Severn River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last minute permission granted, so I'm in ! Both fishing and lunch. Weather is looking good. Anyone planning to go after striper- or are most pickerel-ing?
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

John, would love to see PP presentation. My email is john.rentch@gmail.com.
      See you Sat.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
        Last minute permission granted, so I'm in ! Both fishing and lunch. Weather is looking good. Anyone planning to go after striper- or are most pickerel-ing?
        I'm planning to target pickerel.
        Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Pickerel are a higher probability catch now. I have not spent much time jigging the debris piles recently. On a windy day, it is tough to slow down the drift enough to keep your line mostly vertical -- using pedal drive while jigging helps somewhat. Of course, you are guaranteed not to catch stripers unless you spend some time trying for them. The debris pile near Jonas Green ranges from 20-30 feet with lots of irregular edges and other things that try to snag your jig. It is important to keep the jig moving. If you let it sit for long, it gets snagged.

I plan to bring one rod rigged for jigging heavy jigheads and soft plastics. Unless I find some fish quickly, I am likely to move over to pickerel fishing for most of my trip.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I got a new trolling rod with a line counter I was itching to try out, as well as some tricks for getting stuff down deep. If anyone wants to join in for some trolling (or jigging) let me know, otherwise I'll likely join up for some pickerel-ing after trolling a bit.
            - John what time
            John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
            Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I got a new trolling rod with a line counter I was itching to try out, as well as some tricks for getting stuff down deep. If anyone wants to join in for some trolling (or jigging) let me know, otherwise I'll likely join up for some pickerel-ing after trolling a bit.
              - John what time
              You can start whenever you want. This time of year, sunrise is about 7:15. I will try to get there by 7:30, but won't launch until at least 8:30. I want to make sure all participants get off successfully. The lunch begins at 1:00 pm. The restaurant is 5-10 minutes from Jonas Green.

I tried trolling some light lures over the past 3 weeks while moving from one creek to another -- no bites. Raptor trolled on Mon morning - no bites. Possibly the stripers are deep -- I have no information about that and have been fishing out of kayaks with no electronics recently. You might try trolling parallel to the debris pile near Jonas Green or along the old railroad bridge or along the channel edge. I would be interested to see if you catch any.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
              X