Croaker in - big stripers gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Croaker in - big stripers gone

Took my Dad out to Harrisons on Tilghman for lunch today. Talked to a couple charter boat captain's. They said Croaker are moving up into the Choptank. They also told me big stripers are gone.

yeah this looks like a good year for hardheads, largest so far has been 14". caught my first spot of the season on saturday but nothing wanted to eat it.

Comment

No, no... they can't be gone. Not true, I'm not done trolling yet...
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

dont worry there are sitll large fish out there, hopefully will find some saturday at CB

Comment

gona look for some croakers around CB this sat!!!!

Comment

Anyone have luck yet w Croaker on western shore between Sandy Point down to Thomas Point Park? I was out near TPP in one of the coves (Fishing Bay) this past weekend. I was getting a decent amount of arches sitting around 1-3 ft off the bottom in about 10 ft of water, but they weren't touching anything I put down. I was trying fishbite bloodworms, shrimp, fluke killer rig, spoons, white shad jig heads. Idk what type of fish these were, but I figured Croaker would be up that far by now.
            2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by frettr00 View Post
              Anyone have luck yet w Croaker on western shore between Sandy Point down to Thomas Point Park? I was out near TPP in one of the coves (Fishing Bay) this past weekend. I was getting a decent amount of arches sitting around 1-3 ft off the bottom in about 10 ft of water, but they weren't touching anything I put down. I was trying fishbite bloodworms, shrimp, fluke killer rig, spoons, white shad jig heads. Idk what type of fish these were, but I figured Croaker would be up that far by now.
              I think it's to early for fishbites .......... they require the warm summer temps to work ........

Comment

I have not done much fishing myself yet this year. However, if the number of people comming into the store catching croaker and buying blood worms are any indications, it must be a good year. There are still some big rockfish around. Besides, for me the season really picks up when the rivers open up to striper fishing.

To my surprise, lots of folks are catching good numbers of crabs already. I know the prediction was for a good year, but this seems a bit early. Even though striper numbers are dropping some, looks like everything else will fill the gap.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                  I think it's to early for fishbites .......... they require the warm summer temps to work ........
                  Interesting, that's the first time I heard that. I guess I'll have to try the real thing then.
                  2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I agree, I usually wait till water is over 70 to use them exclusively. You can always add them to other baits though. Last year fishbite/nightcrawler combo was killer.

Number 8 - http://www.fishbites.com/faqs.htm

8. Is there a preferred or optimum water temperature for Fishbites?

So far our tests have shown that the original formulas work best in saltwater that's 63oF or above which is why we are now offering Coldwater Fishbites. These baits not only dissolve faster in cooler water temps but they are also infused with even more of our unique stimulants. Coldwater Fishbites are ideal for the hardcore angler that fishes year round or for those whose seawater temperatures rarely stay above 60oF for extended periods of time (i.e. Pacific and North Atlantic coastal regions).

Can you use these coldwater baits in warm water (above 70oF)? Because they soften more and dissolve even faster in warm waters, they won't last as long as our original formula. They will also not be as durable when hit by numerous bait stealers when fished in warm water. Therefore, while you may catch fish, you won't catch as many per bait
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

i've been tipping my bws with the fast acting fishbites just to add extra sent when bws get washed out, works in colder water and no mesh. been doing ok with croaker in the day time at greenbury point and caught 2 last saturday morning in mill creek. also caught my first spot of the year and a crab

Comment

Working...
                      X