Messing around with a down rigger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messing around with a down rigger

I haven't seen any kayaker out there using down riggers on the Chesapeake for striped bass so I thought I'd try it out. Lots of kayakers up north use them for salmon and on lakes so it seemed plausible. My first trip out was exploratory. I found out that I needed some practice....and a swivel on the cannonball, which I picked up at Bass Pro. It was WAY more expensive than I thought it should be. At any rate, I got it figured out using a hand reel rather than springing for a expensive down rigger setup. The fish were on the bottom in 50' and didn't see another good way from a kayak to troll for them.

It's kinda fun. Here's the video catching a fish.
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

I have contemplated looking into a down rigger for fishing the WSSC reservoirs, but gave up when I saw the price of equipment. I'll keep my eye out for some used gear and will look harder once I get a pedal powered kayak for trolling.

Comment

Too funny. Just happens that I was checking out jet divers the other day. Different sizes for different depth. #10 #20 #30 #40 and a #50. Each coresponding to depth in feet that they'll dive to.

Mobile

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
        Too funny. Just happens that I was checking out jet divers the other day. Different sizes for different depth. #10 #20 #30 #40 and a #50. Each coresponding to depth in feet that they'll dive to.

Mobile
        I do run jet divers with success. I have a 40' one, but not a 50' They pull really hard. At least with the cannonball you don't have to fight the jet diver during retrieve.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

I would get the Dipsy Diver, they can run at roughly the same depth, but when you want to reel them in (fish on or not) you give it a quick jerk and the front pops free and you pull it in without the drag of it trying to dive.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Anyone hear of or use a torpedo diver? I bought one yesterday at gander mtn. The one I got only weighs 4oz., says it will bring your lure down to 53ft. with only 200 ft of line out....can't wait to give it a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
            Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Downriggers

We used downriggers for the Extreme Kayak Fishing tournament A few months back. We had mediocre success. They are a must have when dropping wigglers down 60-90'.
              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Working...
              X