Anyone ever buy a yak from Amazon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever buy a yak from Amazon?

I'm generally a "buy local" shopper, but I couldn't help to notice the price tag Amazon.com has on the 2015 hobie outback ($1644.00)

That's a couple hundred less than anywhere else I've seen.

Anyone ever order a yak from them? If so what was your experience...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

Check the shipping cost before ordering. Also make sure the trucking company is able to deliver to a private residence for a package that large. I know that Native will not ship a kayak directly to me -- it must go to a business location. That is not their own rule, it is the trucking company's rule.

Also, as of a month or so ago, Amazon charges Maryland sales tax.

Unless you have a huge cost savings buying from Amazon (after considering all costs), it is desirable to support local businesses where possible.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
      Unless you have a huge cost savings buying from Amazon (after considering all costs), it is desirable to support local businesses where possible.
      This.

My business stays local, when possible.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

I purchased my grand slam off amazon, being the only place I could find that kayak. It was sold from amazon. I know a lot of the times they outsource from other kayak shops to sell there goods. Like others have said i would keep it local unless your getting a big discount. Mine shipped ok there were a few chips out of the kayak I put the heat gun to, to smooth out the hull. Nothing major. But with shipping kayaks I also had a trucking company leave mine in the yard with no signature and left. So if at all possible I would avoid having to deal with a kayak being shipped. Just my two cents.
        Tan-Tarpon 140
        Lime-Pelican Matrix
        Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

It went well for me. Ordered two Perception Pescador 120s and both ended up at my door in good shape. First arrived in about 5 days and I believe they may have had to do some work to dig up the second, had two shipping delays, and i really thought they were going to cancel the second one but they did manage to snatch one up somewhere and get it to me late a week or two. I really have know idea how they could have made any money on the deal, paid $370 a piece shipped. I don't know what it cost them to ship but it had to be a good chunk of that. They were sold by and stocked by Amazon and shipped free. If you buy through them from a third party seller you are going to pay a fairly large shipping fee, roughly $150 or so.

Overall very pleasant experience. I decided to keep the savings locally in my pocket. I don't mind supporting local business but got to support myself first.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input. I shoulda jumped at the offer. A 2015 outback for $1644 is a ridiculous savings. It's back to $2299 today. You snooze you loose.
            John Hostalka

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
              Thanks for everyone's input. I shoulda jumped at the offer. A 2015 outback for $1644 is a ridiculous savings. It's back to $2299 today. You snooze you loose.
              That was on Amazon? And was that the shipped price?
              I do find that their prices can fluctuate wildly in a very short period of time, sometimes minutes. If you see something like that again hit buy quick. When I caught my kayak for $368 it jumped back up to $599 within a hour and has stayed fairly high ever since with maybe one more short drop to close to $400 over a three year period.

Comment

Shipping was like $189 on top of that
                John Hostalka

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I recently bought my Commander 120 from Appomatox River Company. Shipping was $60. No sales tax - online sale - I'm in MD, they're in VA.

It was wrapped like a mummy when it arrived - REALLY well wrapped. It took quite some time to unwrap it. It arrived at the trucking depot on a Friday and wouldn't have been delivered to my house until Monday, so I went over and picked it up in my truck. I had to try it out on the weekend!

It was a very positive experience. I was able to buy local and had it shipped to me. I bought my last kayak from them, actually making the 3 hour drive down there. After seeing how much shipping was and no sales tax, I decided it was just as well to have it shipped and save me the three hour drive down and then another 3 hours back.

Appomatox River Company is very nice to deal with, both in person, over the phone and online. They are really great people to buy from. I highly recommend them.
                  Laura (aka zeebyrd)
                  Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                    Shipping was like $189 on top of that
                    Must be a third party seller. I didn't think Amazon was an authorized Hobie dealer. Almost sounds like that was some kind of price mistake.

Comment

Had to be a pricing mistake. As far as Amazon tax in Maryland is concerned, only items shipping out of the Balto distribution center is taxable. Just figured this out order Christmas present for my grandkids. Paid .78 tax on a 175.00 order. Only one item of 12.99 was taxed.
                      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Yes I think price mistake also. It probably would not have been honored. On things sold by Amazon sometimes you can get away with getting pricing like that even when it is a mistake. If it was a small third party seller they are going to balk and not honor the price.

Comment

Agreed, If was an Amazon Prime order, they would have honored the price. Had that happen to me last year on a TV. Ordered a crazy deal on Prime at 1/2 the price of the cheapest price I could find, got the TV delivered in 2 days. The next day the price was back to close to the cheapest price elsewhere. Not a Yak but a savings of $600. So if you find a great deal on Amazon, order it, worse case, they will cancel it, best case, you get one hell of a savings.
                          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I got my Perception Pescador 120 from Amazon a couple months ago. I think it was like $575 shipped (no shipping charges). They called about a delivery time and showed up within the window. The thing was wrapped is several layers of clingy clear plastic wrap.

I may get another kayak next year/year after. I want one a little larger/more features. That may mean shopping local, or buying used. Depends on what I learn/figure out next year when I get back to fishing.

Comment

Working...
                            X