What's that in my tog fillet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's that in my tog fillet?

Been catching and eating togs for 3 years. Caught and filleted a couple togs over the weekend. Don't think I ever saw this before. Anyone know what those black things are? Some web site said it's veins. Veins!?!?
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

I've found these in mine over the years and I always thought it was just blood vessels. I'm interested to see what other say too!

Sent via mobile
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Sorry Efrin I couldn't look past the nice THICK and JUICY fillets! LOL

I'm also thinking that's it's veins or blood lines. But I too want to see what others say
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Seen this before in tog and flounder. Just ate it anyway and I'm still here
        Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Mercury?
          Ha, I really have no clue. Haven't seen that before.

Comment

Maybe the tog had been feeding on squid and got some ink in its tissue.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I see them on fall togs (CBBT) ocassionally. Saw a few on CHSP togs. Yes, I saw them on flounders too.
              You catch and I take home.

joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Interesting.... I've never seen anything like that in any of the togs I've kept over the years.

I'd still eat it
                Brian

Comment

Here's a thread about them from another site: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=112133 They even have a link to a NOAA article about it later in the thread. Consensus is veins.

Comment

Could just be something they feed on in the colder months that are not available throughout the year. In restaurants, I filleted several species of fish...I've cut tumors out of swordfish and tuna. I've seen live parasites in the bottom of every flounder container that was shipped from local seafood suppliers...the photos above look harmless. Could also be caused by a diet of blue mussels if they are available in the area?
                    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Gang, that is know as flavoring. Yum.
                      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                        Here's a thread about them from another site: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=112133 They even have a link to a NOAA article about it later in the thread. Consensus is veins.
                        Thanks for the link, MYTM.

"...These spots were found to be deposits of dark pigment surrounded by fibrosis. This pigment originates from their
                        high use of blue mussels as prey. These spots are considered harmless to the fish and to consumers."

Must have quite a number of blue or black mussels along the CBBT pilings. Anyway, I rest assured of eating tog. In fact, I'm having broiled tog for dinner tonight...yes!

Comment

My wife usually bakes, fries, or blackens tog with flour, panko or other spices. Today she tried something different; she broiled the tog fillets with just pepper sprinkled on top. Never broiled tog before.

Two surprises:
                          - Shrinkage was more pronounced compared with other cooking methods.
                          - It tasted like scallops/crab to me. It tasted good! My two grown-up sons ate tog before, and they said it tasted like steamed Alaskan king crab, the kind you buy at Costco at $16/lb. We ate it without any sauce on it.

The taste took us by complete surprise. Consider it as poor-man’s crab…lol…
                          Attached Files

Comment

One of the things people do up in Alaska is boil halibut chunks in 7UP, they call it "Poor man's lobster". I never actually tried it, we deep-fried halibut fresh off the water with panco breading...delicious.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

Did you bleed the fish immediately after catching?
                              Jason

Comment

Working...
                              X