Cold Water Immersion Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Water Immersion Test

As the water temps drop, make sure that not only are you wearing the right gear, but also that you test your gear in a controlled situation. I'm wearing waders, a belt over the waders, a semi dry top and a PFD. An improvement that could be made is wearing an additional wading belt atop the semi dry top.

I jumped into the Patapsco and here's the video results
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1505829089684346

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

For those without FB, here's a You Tube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgrO...ature=youtu.be

Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Watch that first step - it's a big one ...

Comment

Originally posted by Skidsteer View Post
        Watch that first step - it's a big one ...
        Sure was! I knew it dropped off, but there was a log down there that I had to step over. It was right there that it dropped off! It was actually kinda good because it gave a real life test.

Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Alan, thanks for posting this. You've done everyone a great service.
          Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
          Cobra Explorer

Comment

Nice Allen, a controlled dunk is the way to go. I tried this the second week of November at Tidings Park off the ramp after I got the yak out of the water. Dry bottoms semi dry top and decided to go for a short swim. Only thing I did not think about was a passer by called the police and said someone was drowning, so as the police and water recued showed up I was walking out of the water on the ramp. I asked what was going on and they said they got a call for someone drowning. So I said, hummm, I did not see anyone in distress, and walked away. Except for the cold wet face I was dry.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Has anybody tried to re-enter a kayak with waders on? I would love to hear from anyone who has.

Comment

Alan you should have called me I would have loved to go down and watch you abuse yourself! But really great stuff!

Harry

Comment

What kind of gaskets (wrist/neck) do you have on the dry top?

I haven't done a full immersion test yet with my dry suit, but I have put my hands completely under water and my arms above the latex gaskets stayed dry. I have the neoprene neck gasket, so a little bit of water might get in there...especially since I don't draw the string up to the point of choking.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

That last step is a doozy!
                    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I got a level 6 semi dry top, latex wrist gasket with Velcro, neoprene neck gasket with Velcro. skirt that tucks into the pants and neoprene waist closures with Velcro. Had a dream one night if all that Velcro got stuck together I would not be able to move. Guess the neoprene neck gasket makes it a semi dry top.
                      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by 3feetpete View Post
                        Has anybody tried to re-enter a kayak with waders on? I would love to hear from anyone who has.
                        It's no issue as long as they don't fill up. I've seen people do it. As long as you have your wading belt secure and have the right top on, it shouldn't be an issue.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                        Torqeedo Pro Staff
                        Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                          What kind of gaskets (wrist/neck) do you have on the dry top?

I haven't done a full immersion test yet with my dry suit, but I have put my hands completely under water and my arms above the latex gaskets stayed dry. I have the neoprene neck gasket, so a little bit of water might get in there...especially since I don't draw the string up to the point of choking.
                          They're neoprene gaskets. Very little should come in at the neck because the PFD will keep your head above water. The initial dunk may allow some in.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by 3feetpete View Post
                            Self rescue is tricky when the current is strong. During the practice I can upright the kayak and sit on the seat within 10-12 second. However in real, when there is current, waves and wearing the winter protective gears, it is a different ball game.

It usually takes 5-10 minutes to assessing the situation, untangle braided line wrapped on my legs, arms and PFD straps, upright the kayak, finding the best position/direction (based on the waves and current) for reentry.

On the video you will see I breath hard in winter. This is because I kept treading to keep my body upright. With winter gears on, my body is not weight balanced. The current and the waves push my upper body while lower body is stationary. I carry pliers, a cell phone box and a whistle. All this additional items can catch braided lines. Sometimes my own braided line kept me from reentering the kayak. A few times I cut the braided lines. Loosing rigs/fish were not main concern sometimes.

I installed grab lines on all my kayaks on both sides. Grab line can be anchor trolley line. By hooking grab line with one elbow, I had two hands free. This is very important when kayak and I were moving fast by current. By having two hands I can cut the braided lines or untangle leashes (rod leash).

I always carry pliers on the PFD to cut the braided line. Also I keep scissors accessible while I am in the water. scissors are the best tool to cut when in the water.

In my opinion, the practice in cold water must include turtling kayak and reenter. I strongly suggest that at least one rod with a sinker is a part of prep to simulate turtling while bottom fishing. Intentionally wrap the braided line on your body, you will hate it.

Also put everything (you usually carry on the PFD) on the PFD. Some items, such as pliers you carry all the time, can prevent you from reentry.

In my opinion, if you can't reenter kayak within the second try during the practice in the controlled water, no current, no waves, you never make reentry in real when there is current and wind.

If you own a regular kayak (not Hobie), I suggest you leash the paddle. If you don't, in the strong current or wind, you have to make decision whether you swim to catch the paddle first or kayak. My case, I caught the paddle first then swam for life to catch the fleeing kayak - So I learned. Swimming in winter gear is very difficult in the current and wind.

There is no differences between 50F and 34F water if you can reenter the kayak within 5-10 minutes. But the cold air and the strong wind do matter after the reentry.

The last thing: If you can't reenter the kayak, and alone, miles off the shore, the winter gear doesn't mean much.

My Bloopers (some real self-rescue recoreded):
                            Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-01-2014, 09:28 PM.
                            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                              Self rescue is tricky when the current is strong. During the practice I can upright the kayak and sit on the seat within 10-12 second. However in real, when there is current, waves and wearing the winter protective gears, it is a different ball game.

It usually takes 5-10 minutes to assessing the situation, untangle braided line wrapped on my legs, arms and PFD straps, upright the kayak, finding the best position/direction (based on the waves and current) for reentry.

On the video you will see I breath hard in winter. This is because I kept treading to keep my body upright. With winter gears on, my body is not weight balanced. The current and the waves push my upper body while lower body is stationary. I carry pliers, a cell phone box and a whistle. All this additional items can catch braided lines. Sometimes my own braided line kept me from reentering the kayak. A few times I cut the braided lines. Loosing rigs/fish were not main concern sometimes.

I installed grab lines on all my kayaks on both sides. Grab line can be anchor trolley line. By hooking grab line with one elbow, I had two hands free. This is very important when kayak and I were moving fast by current. By having two hands I can cut the braided lines or untangle leashes (rod leash).

I always carry pliers on the PFD to cut the braided line. Also I keep scissors accessible while I am in the water. scissors are the best tool to cut when in the water.

In my opinion, the practice in cold water must include turtling kayak and reenter. I strongly suggest that at least one rod with a sinker is a part of prep to simulate turtling while bottom fishing. Intentionally wrap the braided line on your body, you will hate it.

Also put everything (you usually carry on the PFD) on the PFD. Some items, such as pliers you carry all the time, can prevent you from reentry.

In my opinion, if you can't reenter kayak within the second try during the practice in the controlled water, no current, no waves, you never make reentry in real when there is current and wind.

If you own a regular kayak (not Hobie), I suggest you leash the paddle. If you don't, in the strong current or wind, you have to make decision whether you swim to catch the paddle first or kayak. My case, I caught the paddle first then swam for life to catch the fleeing kayak - So I learned. Swimming in winter gear is very difficult in the current and wind.

There is no differences between 50F and 34F water if you can reenter the kayak within 5-10 minutes. But the cold air and the strong wind do matter after the reentry.

The last thing: If you can't reenter the kayak, and alone, miles off the shore, the winter gear doesn't mean much.

My Bloopers (some real self-rescue recoreded):
                              Great advice man.
                              Hahaha...I've seen fish spend less time in the water. Thanks for the video.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                              Torqeedo Pro Staff
                              Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X