Handheld VHF Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handheld VHF Radio

Thinking of purchasing a handheld VHF radio. Would appreciate input on types or models that work well. I am assuming that is what everyone uses.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Standard Horizon HX280 is what I have. It doesn't float, so I put a lanyard and a piece of pool noodle attached to the belt clip. The 280 has a bigger battery (mA) than the floating ones, so it will last much longer.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I lost my standard horizon hx290 last time I turtled. It was a good radio, but I forgot to clip the lanyard the one time I actually needed to have it tethered. I had a uniden before that and it was ok, but the submersible rating was bogus. I just bought a Cobra MRHH125 for about $40 off amazon because I am really on a budget for another one right now. It has decent reviews and is supposed to be waterproof. I will try it out this weekend and see how it is.

Comment

Standard Horizon HX-150. I opted for this because if floats and has lithium ion batteries. I think I picked up for $88 and got the $20 rebate. I am a fan of lithium over NiMH because they are much easier maintenance/charging. This radio does not have DSC emergency button, but that is not something I feel I need given I am only in lakes and the bay.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Probably making a purchase in January.
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

SH HX300, USB charger is cool, good battery life, very compact.

I can recommend West Marine downtown near Canton. Awesome customer service. In my case, ship to store beat other online prices.

Comment

+1 on the Standard Horizon HX-150. Used it all summer long no issues.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I have. So far so good...and it floats.

Comment

I have (2) Standard Horizon HX-270S radios. It's an older model, but the models that replaced it (e.g. HX-370) are just as good from what others tell me. The thing I like about it is that it is smaller than some of the other Standard Horizon radios, but still provides 5 watt output.

Comment

I think it's hard to go wrong with Standard Horizon. They make good products. I have the HX851. It has good reception, transmits well and has a long battery life. It also floats and has GPS and WX capability and to be honest, many other functions I never use. For the primary function of communicating with my fellow kayakers it is excellent.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Cobra makes some good hand-held products as well. I think their higher end ones are competitive with the Standard Horizons.

Comment

Thanks to all that answered. Looks like Standard is the one.
                        John Rentch
                        Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by jrentch View Post
                          Thanks to all that answered. Looks like Standard is the one.
                          If price and timing are an issue, know that Standard Horizon 2014 Endless Summer Rebate is still in effect for purchases thru 12/31/2014. Handheld models include the HX150, 290, and 300 and they all give $20 back. West Marine has a copy of the PDF form online.

Comment

The HX280 is what I have, good radio but I hardly ever bring it with me unless I'm going offshore. In my opinion get a waterproof cover your cell phone, takes up way less space and will do the job.
                            2015 Hobie Outback
                            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

silas,

Cell phones are indeed an option. But they lack the immediacy of HF radios. HF radios give you instant contact with your fishing companion(s) without dialing or waiting for the person(s) you are calling to answer the ring tone. Also, as you mentioned, for most cell models you have to keep them covered or in a waterproof container. Lastly, you can learn a lot about the day's bite just by monitoring the HF calls of other fishermen in your area. Some days I never speak a word into mine but I still find it useful.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X