New guy here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy here!

Bought a 2010 Hobie Outback about a month ago and have been out almost everyday since. Can't believe it's taken me this long to try it out! I've been tooling around on the Potomac so far but I'm ready to take it out on the bay and catch some striper. Any suggestions?
    2010 Hobie Outback

Welcome Yakfisher!

We're at the tail end of the "trophy" striper season. This year has been tough with all the rain, wind and muddy waters. Me and and another member managed one early trolling trip at the Bay Bridge but were skunked.

Stripers are usually best targeted during low light periods of dawn, dusk and at night. And when there's a good current. If you can get to deeper water you can try chumming for them during the day at this time of year.

So where on the Potomac are you tooling around? I'm in Fairfax as well and sometimes hit Riverbend and some tidal spots.

Welcome aboard! Look for our monthly meet & greet schedule. It's usually every second Saturday. June is Point Lookout state park in southern MD for flounder, blues and striper. Maybe croaker as well.

John

Comment

Welcome Yakfisher! Maybe we will cross paths on the Potomac soon
      Malibu Stealth 14
      Perception Caster 12.5

Comment

Welcome aboard! Good fishin

Chimo

Comment

Welcome to the site. Great group of folk here...
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Welcome and thanks for joining!
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

Jffoly, I normally tool around Gunston cove and have ventured out to Mason Neck but that's it. I've had some good luck jigging plastics for bass, usually texas rig a 7" green pumpkin or watermelon seed. Have also had some luck with crank baits, clackin rap's from Rapala are the lure of choice. How about yourself?

Anybody going out this weekend? I'd like to hit up the bay.
              2010 Hobie Outback

Comment

heading to chesapeake beach saturday morning with some guys your welcome to join us

Comment

I've tried Pohick once in the kayak and Leesylvania a couple times from shore. Not much luck. I'd like to explore more of that area but I tend to be attracted to the bay more. Probably because I grew up around saltwater. My favorite is stripers.

Agree regarding plastics. I've had good success on LM bass with black, purple or watermelon Berkley Powerworms. Swimming a Rapala slowly along the surface will sometimes get a terrific hit. One of the biggest smallies I've caught at Riverbend was doing that. Summertime.

This weekend for me is the Great Plains Winefest on Saturday and a boat trip with the missus Sunday. Next weekend, Memorial Day is wide open. Gonna stay local. If you're interested...

Comment

Working...
                  X