Sink a Kayak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sink a Kayak?

Any of you ever lose your kayak to the deep blue? I have quite an investment at this point, mostly rods/reels, and the thought of the whole thing going down is worrisome. I can't imagine what turn of events would lead to such a tragic outcome, maybe a shark taking a chuck out of the boat, but I'm sure it's happened. Would a locator/retrieval buoy help, or necessary. Tell me your horror stories and lessons learned...
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

I've never herd of anyone having a kayak completely sink. Its all about having a plan, vhf radio to call for help, a pump to pump out water, ect. Also if you want extra flotation they sell inflatable bags you can insert into the hull of the kayak to add volume to the yak. Here is a link to the bags I'm referring to.

https://www.harmonygear.com/products...RNp7AodLkcAgw/
    Tan-Tarpon 140
    Lime-Pelican Matrix
    Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Unpossible. Every kayak I've owned had closed cell foam inside the hull.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

My dagger has no foam other than a small bulkhead behind the front hatch. The inflatable bags would resolve the issue, but I agree the possibility of anything happening has got to be small.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
          My dagger has no foam other than a small bulkhead behind the front hatch. The inflatable bags would resolve the issue, but I agree the possibility of anything happening has got to be small.
          That "small bulkhead" is more than enough to keep it on the surface.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

I bet if a shark took a chunk out of your kayak and you lived to tell the story, it would be worth the cost of the yak.
            Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
            Cobra Explorer

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
              I bet if a shark took a chunk out of your kayak and you lived to tell the story, it would be worth the cost of the yak.
              ....... Not if it's stuffed w/ pool noodles

Comment

Originally posted by Pc4sun View Post
                Hummm, Never thought about shark fishing from a kayak.
                Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I fished for them reg in SC, never had one bite the boat though. I like the pool noodle idea too! That'll cost me nothing
                  2015 Hobie Outback
                  2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I have heard of people losing everything but their kayak to the water.

Comment

Working...
                    X