loose gear ...... prevention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loose gear ...... prevention

Well it finally happened. I went to gifford pinchot state park in pa this weekend camping. While there I proceeded to hunt and stalk the bass that are in the lake . Came back after about 4 hours happy as a lark due to catching a ton of fish. I put my rod in rod in the rod holder of my hobie pa. Cpl of hours later was asked to go out again. So the wife and I are paddling and I see a nice bunch of reeds that i want to pull a wacky rig through. I reach back, and much to my surprize, there is no rod. ( very calm water) I asked the wife had she seen it . so there it is, my first rod missing. Lesson learned always put a leash on no matter how windy or calm. It wouldnt have been so bad had it been a 5 year rod on its last legs, but this was a brand new rod that i was using for shad..

now its gone. sniff sniff.

fjarhead.

P.s services were held for the rod and real and flourocarbon line.

Sorry to hear of your loss. thoughts and prayers and lesson learned. Thanks for the tip
    Malibu Stealth 14
    Perception Caster 12.5

Comment

Sorry for your loss. Such a young rod with a promising future taken before its time.

I think someone should start a gear lost memorial thread... I know there were quite a few casualties last year.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

lol yep...same thing happened to me on my very first outing, livelining at the bay bridge. Got back to shore after a nice paddle. Brand new rod & reel was gone!
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Sad .......... so sad .......... sniff sniff

Comment

Donations to the fish gods. They love it! They have one of my expensive and bright LED flashlights.

Thats not the worst of it. On pickup trucks, don't forget to lock the rear cap. I have had a depth finder taken out of the back of my truck. I think that happened when I stopped for bait or for coffee that morning. Now that really sets a person off.

I have loops of bungee cord on all of my rod holders, to loop over the reel or reel handles. That pretty much does the trick.

Comment

rod leash.. dont go on the water without them sorry your loss.

Comment

ransom

I have your rod but it will cost you to get it back . Small unmarked bills please just kidding my heart goes out to the family R.I.P
                Bad day fishing is better than a good day at work .

Comment

sorry to bring a old thread alive, but anyone know where i can get rod leashes local?

Comment

Originally posted by M3_Monstar View Post
                    sorry to bring a old thread alive, but anyone know where i can get rod leashes local?
                    I made some from cell phone cables and telephone cable, just need a few zip ties on each end and some brass clips. I put a key ring on with velcro above the handle and just snap and unsnap as needed... If you're doing the tournament you'll get one in your captain's bag I think!
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by M3_Monstar View Post
                      While you search for leashes you like stop by wally world and get a few $4.00 dog leashes. They're not the best, but are as funcional as the $15. ones

Comment

I made some with elastic cord from Walmart's crafts department, brass clips from Lowe's on one end and Velcro strips on the other end. Clips to a padeye and Velcro around the rod at the reel seat.

Comment

Goto a gunstore like "On Target' and get a pistol leash. Thats what i use and they are amazing/
                          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

lesson learned

i have made some leashes with some bungee cords with some small caribiners attached

Comment

Working...
                            X