Wader boots - insulated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wader boots - insulated?

Do they make wader boots that are insulated? The pair I have work great, but when it was 7 degrees the other morning it was going right through them. My feet are my weak link and I always do good with my insulated neoprene waders but I would rather use my breathable waders when hunting in the kayak. I thought bout drill drain holes in insulated boots, but if the insulation is not water proof, I'm just ruining boots. I know someone must know this.
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

I doubt they make any insulated wading boots, never heard of any anyway. My breathable waders have neoprene stocking feet which work pretty well. I wish my dry suit had neoprene stocking feet instead of fabric...my feet get cold in the drysuit.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Try duct tape over the waterproof line of insulated boots. A few wraps rubbed down with a good seal should keep water out. It's gotten work, duct tape fixes everything.
      Mike

Comment

when its that cold, stay in! I haven't been hunting in almost two weeks because of the cold...guess Im just not hardcore enough
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

You could get some 7mil neoprene booties but you'd miss out on any sort of ankle support. There are also some made for this - http://www.rei.com/product/783912/ko...paddling-boots. Does Muck make something that would be tall enough for you? I assume you aren't wading... I used to fly fish and wade regularly during the winter months, it was pretty rough even in neoprene waders. I never found anything to keep my feet from becoming ice blocks.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
            You could get some 7mil neoprene booties but you'd miss out on any sort of ankle support. There are also some made for this - http://www.rei.com/product/783912/ko...paddling-boots. Does Muck make something that would be tall enough for you? I assume you aren't wading... I used to fly fish and wade regularly during the winter months, it was pretty rough even in neoprene waders. I never found anything to keep my feet from becoming ice blocks.
            I am seriously considering some of those Kokatat boots.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

I ordered a pair of NRS Boundary Water boots to wear over my drysuit. I'm hoping these combined with a liner sock - chemical toe warmer - insulating sock (current favorite is called "Heat Holder") been using that combo with neoprene booties but they were a tad tight so I ordered the boots 2 sizes bigger to give me some extra room. I'll post once I've had a chance to test them out.

Comment

I have the NRS Boundry boot, its great. Be advised that the boot is a bit tall for dry suit cuffs. Solution, roll the top 1-2 inches of boot over, then cuff will fit perfectly.
                Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Those NRS boots look good too, and they're less expensive.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

I have been using Smartwool Light Hiking sock -> drysuit booties -> 2.5m Neoprene sock -> old ass pair of Crocs.

It isn't working well as my feet are blocks of use in very short order. I have been looking at boots but I already feel so immobile in the drysuit that I am hesitant to bulk up more. I was thinking of trying to put the thinner neoprene socks over the wool one and then adding a thicker neoprene sock over the suit booties.
                    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                      Those NRS boots look good too, and they're less expensive.
                      I have the NRS boots. They do the job well
                      -Mustafa
                      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                        I have the NRS boots. They do the job well
                        tall enough for launching and stay dry on the inside?
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                          tall enough for launching and stay dry on the inside?
                          Depends on how far in the water you go. They go up 3/4 of the calf. They are designed to avoid the knee area for freedom of movement. 90% of the time I'm conscious of the water level and they stay dry. A couple of time I was focused on a task, like putting in the wheels for example, and they went under. Only a couple of drops of water got in because of moving around... they are fairly tight around the top.
                          -Mustafa
                          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I saw remote control foot warmers might be perfect for sitting in the yak.

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                              I saw remote control foot warmers might be perfect for sitting in the yak.
                              This product (Thermamcell) may be what surfdog referred to. http://www.basspro.com/ThermaCELL-He...05013014_Red_S

I ordered a pair last winter. When they arrived, I opened the box and read the instructions. They are not intended for wet use. So if you think there is a chance your boots or waders leak or you may take water over the top, these may not be the product for you. I sent mine back unused.
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis
                              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                              X