Kayak Rack in the winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Rack in the winter

I couldn't seem to find much info on this and I'm sure its mostly personal preference, but do you guys usually leave your kayak racks on your car during the winter or store them away and put them back on in the spring?
    Michael
    2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
    Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

I left my Yakima Showboat roller system on my van all last winter and it remains there this winter also. I also left the foam pads on the crossbars last winter and they are still there this winter. The rack is sturdily built and has no parts that rust. The top of my van seems as good a place to store it as any.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Leave my Thule glide and set rack on all times, but I usually continue fishing in the winter...
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Another thing...It helps me identify my van on parking lots.

There are lots of white Sienna vans on the road but mine is the only one I've seen locally with a Yakima Showboat.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Not a big winter fisher, but once my hulavator is on, I leave the rack on and remove and install the lift as needed.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Another thing...It helps me identify my van on parking lots.

There are lots of white Sienna vans on the road but mine is the only one I've seen locally with a Yakima Showboat.
            This explains why my neighbor leaves the Rudolph nose on until spring, or until it mysteriously disappears but I don't know anything about that!
            Mike

Comment

Working...
            X