month old kayak hull deforming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• month old kayak hull deforming

Ok guys I just bought my moken from ARC in Hampton in December. They shipped it from the Danville story for me. Anyways long story short, I pulled it out of the garage yesterday to wipe it down with some 303 and noticed the hull looks like it's deforming. It was stored on its side per the manuals recomendation. Is this normal or should I pursue a warranty claim. Looks to me like I would lose alot of hull speed. I could see this on an old yak but heck I've only had it since mid december.

That doesn't look right to me.. I would definitely call and ask

Comment

I've got emails in to both ARC and Feel Free. Kind of frustrating

Comment

no question... make a claim. It really looks like the yak got real hot. That will affect performance quite a bit. For comparison here are pics I just took of my Moken14. I think I got an older Moken because I have bad hatch leak problems (which I think I fixed now.. we will see this summer). Right now I have my yak sitting on two saw horses with 2x4s running down the center to support the hull. I am in the middle of designing a trolling motor mount so need my yak accessible.
        2015-01-19 17.42.21.jpg
        2015-01-19 17.42.30.jpg
        People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

I too have some leaks. This thing feels like there's no glide at all. Stop paddling and we'll it just stops. I'm a bigger guy 6'1" 225lb but I didn't think I was that big lol.

I have pictures in to Joel @ feel free and talked to ARC in hampton. They forwarded the info to Farmville so I hope to hear back from them tomorrow.

Comment

Also your mention of hot makes me think. The first thing ARC asked was did I have the yak over a baseboard heater in the garage. I have absolutely no heat in my garage. When I got the moken it was dark. So I may have not noticed the bottom of the hull when the ARC guys helped put it on the roof. In the store I didn't look at the bottom of the boat. I've only used this yak once and temps were below freezing lol

Comment

I am 5'11" and 260, my Moken paddles real well and glides very well too. Your lack of glide is maybe caused by that bottom warping?
              Looking at it further.. it looks as if your hatches were closed up tight when the weather cooled off causing a negative preasure in the hull... no excuse of course, there should be no way atmospheric pressure could do that, clearly weak plastic.

Comment

Yeah somethings a miss on this. Its really bugging me to look at it, but yeah seriously no glide at all. But yeah how could I expose it to heat, being how cold it's been in the past month lol.

Comment

Since I have your attention I have some questions for a fellow Moken owner. I have the freedom bar but have not yet used it. Is it difficult to slide it back and forth while on the water? or have you not been able to use it yet?

Comment

It slides pretty easily but honestly I kept in in one place. One thing I've found though is its not really easy to put on or off. Kind of a pain I thought.

The other issue I have is my unitrac plates will slide slightly even while in the locked position

Right after I finished rigging it up

Comment

I have my rod holders on the bar along with my FF. I don't really trust the rails built in to the sides of the yak much but the bar ones feels more solid. I was hoping to pull the bar close to me while fishing but push it out when "Flailing wildly with my paddle" other wise known as paddling. I figure I will see how it all turns out I guess. Also I like having the rods up higher, more out of my "paddle stroke".

In heavy seas (two feet or so) I could feel a very slight flex in the hull when the waves hit the front and back at the same time and the middle of the yak is in the trough... have you felt anything like that?

Comment

No I haven't but honestly I haven't gotten much use out of her yet. I have since put scotty rocket launchers on the bar angled back and away from theboat. Doesn't affect paddling. Haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the scotty baitcasters yet.

Comment

Ok so talked to feel free today. They are replacing my boat with a brand new one. It's being delivered Thursday from joel at feel free to arc in farmville. Going to meet him there and swap them out. Awesome service.

Comment

That is awesome I am really glad they are taking care of it. There are not many of us FeelFree owners compared to the Hobbie guys, nice to see we choose a good company

Comment

Great to hear and good to know which companies do the right thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X