Fishing alone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing alone?

How often do you all find yourself fishing alone? I'm a great swimmer and have been around boats forever, though kayaks for only a couple years. Never flipped or even come close but for some reason I am feeling my mortality more - perhaps its just I'm getting smarter as I get older. Anyway, how often do you go solo? I imagine its even harder if you live on the water and can be on the water in 15 minutes. Just curious and would like to know if you make any special preparations. I'm on the middle Bay near Cedarhurst most times.
    Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13

I generally go several times in a year solo. Just make sure to tell someone your float plan for the day and when you plan to be back
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Most times.
      I go out with friends for fun, not for my safety.

Joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I probably fish solo about 80% of the time. I have been fishing out of a kayak since 1991 so in warm water seasons I do not do anything special. In cold water situations I have a plan for going in the water and surviving (drytop mated with dry pants, spare dry clothing, waterproof phone). There are certain situations I deem too dangerous to do in the dead of winter alone. Most importantly, no matter what season, I put my PFD on first thing in the morning and I do not take it off until I am back at the truck at the end of the day.
        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Most of my fishing has been alone. I've probably fished with someone I see by chance as many times as I have planned to go out with others. Not because I prefer to be alone, but because most of my trips out have been last minute planning or based on the luck of leaving work early.
          Mike

Comment

What Shady said. Whether I go alone or with friends, I always let someone at home know where I'm launching from and when I plan to return. I'll usually text them too when I'm off the water just so they know I got off safely.
            Brian

Comment

I almost allways fish alone, mostly because my work gives me a ton of weekdays off. Every time I go out, weather on foot or on the yak, I txt my girlfriend where i will park, where i will go, and when to start lighting up my phone if I am not home or have called.
              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

80%-90% I fish alone. I always tell my family where I'm going. Most of my trips are 2-4 hours so they would know something was up if I was late and they didn't hear from me.
                I always have my PFD on. Almost every place I kayak fish is shallow or very close to shore. I've never flipped my kayak. I fish less in the winter and then I will not fish alone and try to seek out at least one other person. In cold water I'm going to fish familiar areas with not much current or hazards. I have thought about getting one of those waterproof radios to bring with me when fishing, but have not done it yet. Maybe I'll see if I can get one for Christmas or my birthday.

Comment

I like to fish with friends more than solo. Whether I got solo or alone, I always have my radio and cell phone. Always a good idea to wear the PFD always when on the water.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

I don't go alone. Leaving a float plan with someone is great so that they know where to recover your body. It only takes a minute to drown. I wish I had the nerve of a man for this ( to go alone), but I don't. I live right down the road from you, call me and I'll go with you!
                    Peggy

Native Slayer Propel 12.5 Max
                    Cobra Explorer

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, and I will get in touch for company! I'm so dying to get out on the water, but the cold water just makes me anxious alone.
                      Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
                      Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

I fish alone 80%of the time.Pfd ,whistle,cellphone and marine radio.I also let my girlfriend know where I am.I have never been scared going alone.Tango anytime you want to come to eastern shore. I am sure I could but you up for good place to sleep.
                        2012 hobie outback
                        2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                          Most times.
                          I go out with friends for fun, not for my safety.

Joe
                          In addition,
                          I want to fish alone in bad weather, or when the wind is strong and the fishing spot is miles off the shore.

Joe
                          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-28-2015, 05:51 AM.
                          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I fish alone most of the time but I'm not often far from shore (fish mostly in tidal creeks) in an area that is well populated. Always wear a PFD and have a cell phone. Plan to get a radio as well.

Comment

I fish alone often, maybe 75% of the time. Bad weather, cold temps...etc will not stop me from going out alone. Have had to self rescue in cold and rough conditions with nobody around to assist. I do like to have other people to fish with me, especially at locations like cbbt...but I have been out to the first island alone quite a few times.

Comment

Working...
                              X