No announcement yet.

South River Farms Park Is Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd also ask that you consider for a second that many supporting more open access to a park we are funding may also have families and just want to enjoy access to a day on the water. Limited parking and facilities at a county park can severely limit that access and may even be a violation of the ADA. I'm the type that will leave an area cleaner than I found it and have managed to get through my life without putting anyone's kids in harms way or danger yet have had some very rude behavior come my way when visiting Triton and Spriggs Farm.

If I had my druthers the park would most likely stay as it is and I'd have access to a beautiful uncrowded park for me and my kayak but we are back to it being purchased by and promised as a park to the residents of Anne Arundel County. Yes it will effect your community the most but the time for that battle was back when the original plan was hatched. From what I understand it sounds like a private land trust might have been the best solution but we are where we are now. I don't know how it is all going to play out and hope for the best for your community and the larger community. Much in this county is not done to my liking, it's one of the reasons having a park to spend the day at is an attractive option. I understand your concerns completely and the first time I visited the park they ran through my mind. Yet it's a county park and we all may not get exactly what we like when all the residents of the county local to the park or not get a say. If I'm not mistaken Sandy Point is the only county park that allows swimming and it is hard to begrudge the residents of the county a place to swim at a park they are funding.

Comment

The park allows access right up to the waterfront, I will avoid any discussion regarding the ADA and its' application as that could only lead us to a far more contentious discussion. I have no doubt that those who want this want their families to enjoy the park and there is no mischief in their hearts- it just gets tiresome the portrayal of those who live in water access communities as a bunch of Judge Smails who want to keep the riff raff out of Brentwood. I, too, even as a resident of Triton have had some pretty foul experiences with my own neighbors when on the beaches in our actual neighborhood. You can't fault a community of people looking out for their community and their property- in the same way that you would were it your home and property in question.

I also appreciate that you are one of the few who are a steward of the places that you go, but I think you are certainly the exception and not the rule. You should have come down to Beverley after the Back to the Beach Car Show at Beverley a couple of weeks back at Beverley and taken a look at how that ended up. Just an example of how it would be on a daily/every weekend basis at Triton. I have no doubt that those of us who live there, nor those who reside elsewhere in the County will get all they want nor get a say, but I certainly opt to not remain silent. A petition has gained over a Thousand signatures opposing this from both in Triton/Beverley and outside- so all are at least trying to get their say. If it happens, it happens- but allowing this division to look like some kind of haves vs. have nots is just not true and yet another tool to stir up anger against those of us who are there EVERY day- not just when the sun shines and the water is cool (I am in no way accusing you of this, you have been very cordial).
      Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

I too would not like it to turn into another Sandy Point. That place gets trashed on the weekends.

John
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by colinkelly View Post
          The park allows access right up to the waterfront, I will avoid any discussion regarding the ADA and its' application as that could only lead us to a far more contentious discussion. I have no doubt that those who want this want their families to enjoy the park and there is no mischief in their hearts- it just gets tiresome the portrayal of those who live in water access communities as a bunch of Judge Smails who want to keep the riff raff out of Brentwood. I, too, even as a resident of Triton have had some pretty foul experiences with my own neighbors when on the beaches in our actual neighborhood. You can't fault a community of people looking out for their community and their property- in the same way that you would were it your home and property in question.

I also appreciate that you are one of the few who are a steward of the places that you go, but I think you are certainly the exception and not the rule. You should have come down to Beverley after the Back to the Beach Car Show at Beverley a couple of weeks back at Beverley and taken a look at how that ended up. Just an example of how it would be on a daily/every weekend basis at Triton. I have no doubt that those of us who live there, nor those who reside elsewhere in the County will get all they want nor get a say, but I certainly opt to not remain silent. A petition has gained over a Thousand signatures opposing this from both in Triton/Beverley and outside- so all are at least trying to get their say. If it happens, it happens- but allowing this division to look like some kind of haves vs. have nots is just not true and yet another tool to stir up anger against those of us who are there EVERY day- not just when the sun shines and the water is cool (I am in no way accusing you of this, you have been very cordial).
          I agree with most of your sentiments. Yet the land was purchased with a plan for development already laid out and promised to the taxpayers. In my heart of hearts I really would like to see the park stay exactly as it is now but also in my heart of hearts that that is for somewhat selfish reasons. It works for me as a great, uncrowded and quite location to launch my kayak. Others may have a different idea of what a day at the beach in a AA County park entails that may not be quite to my liking. They now have a say in the equation.

It's hard to determine who has mischief in their hearts and I can't imagine the county setting up some system of trying to weed out mischievous hearts. We are then getting close to the idea of excluding certain classes of people to a county park and I'd have to speak up on the other side. I may not even like the outcome but it would be the right thing to do. Deal with the devil has been made when the park was purchased with government dollars and I just hope his terms are not to horrible.
          Last edited by DonV; 06-06-2016, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
            I would rather not pay to launch, but in a pinch that's always an option.
            Do you recall the name of the Turkey Point marina?
            Sorry Manny, I don't recall the name. It was the first one on the right. Nice boat launch and docks to fish for perch.
            PigPen - Mt Airy
            Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Hi All,

How did the council end up voting on this issue.

Comment

Working...
              X