Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best all-around rod/reel?

Hello all,

I've received some good advice on this board the short time I've been here. I've got the kayak I plan to purchase in the Spring picked out, and have a good idea of how I'm going to transport and rig it.

Now, to the actual fishing gear.

If you were to have only one or two rods, what set up would you use for jigging and casting for rock fish? I imagine it has a lot to do with preference, but I'm new to fishing this area (and fishing in general) and just want to get a good idea of a starting point.

Thanks in advance,

John

I like a nice one-piece medium weight spinning rod with about a 2500 series reel. I think of that setup as the SUV of combos. I prefer a fairly fast tip, but that's probably starting to get a little too picky for one size fits all. Make and model come down to preference and budget.

I might start with a Bass Pro rod. I've had good luck in the past and they are pretty cost effective. I don't think there is much sense in spending too much if you don't yet know what you like. There are some good Shimano reels in the $60-90 price range that will last you years. They are also nice enough that you won't need to upgrade in a year or two...although you may want to anyway
    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

A medium weight rod with a fast action tip is a good choice for all around usage. A 2500 size reel would be adequate and keep the weight comfortable all day.

If you can get to bass pro, check out their graphite series rods. They will be on sale for around $30 starting this Friday. You could probably justify multiple rods at that price and they aren't too far off from the $100 rods.

I like shimano reels but I've heard that okuma also makes quality reels in the $40 range. Again, that could pose an opportunity to get more than one.

Tochterman's in Baltimore is also a great place to find exactly what you are looking for. Their staff is very helpful and their warranty program is excellent.
      Mike

Comment

Agree with the other suggestions a medium spinning rod with a 2500/3000 size reel with 15lb braid is my go to combo. The Penn FRC3000 combo is also a great buy if you can find it on sale.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I live right next to the Bass Pro at Arundel Mills and have been in several times, but the selection was a little overwhelming and I couldn't make up my mind. I'll definitely check out the sale this Friday.

Comment

Ditto the above. St. Croix (http://stcroixrods.com/) has MANY rods spec'd on their website so you can look at the various ratings. Below are two from the Mojo Inshore line that seem to fit. The Medium Heavy (MH) vs. the Medium (M) would be a matter of preference and whether you had lighter or heavier lure weights you knew you'd be using allot. No need to pay this much but this will give you some good specs for reference.

MODEL LGTH. PWR. ACTION PCS. LINE WT. LURE WT. ROD WT. (OZ.) HANDLE PRICE
            MIS70MF 7' M Fast 1 8 - 17 3/8 - 3/4 4.9 1 $ 130
            MIS70MHF 7' MH Fast 1 10 - 20 1/2 - 1 1/4 5.1 2 $ 130

Edit: Sorry I can't get the spacing to work. Look them up MIS70MF or MIS70MHF. Hope this helps.

Comment

I got a medium/heavy Ugly Stik GX2 last summer, put on a Penn FRC 3000 with 20# braid and really like it. Consider length of rod based on length of kayak; you'll want to be able to reach the tip around the front of your hull if a fish crosses from one side to the other.

Longer rod will also open up your spread a little if you troll...which is my primary fishing mode.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Skidsteer View Post
                Edit: Sorry I can't get the spacing to work. Look them up MIS70MF or MIS70MHF. Hope this helps.
                The forum code simplifies spacing, making tables a requirement to format columns.

MODEL LGTH. PWR. ACTION PCS. LINE WT.LINE WT. LURE WT. ROD WT. (OZ.) HANDLE PRICE
                MIS70MF 7' M Fast 1 8 - 17 3/8 - 3/4 4.9 1 $ 130
                MIS70MHF 7' MH Fast 1 10 - 20 1/2 - 1 1/4 5.1 2 $ 130
                More trouble than it's worth in this instance.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Penn and Shimano both make good quality mid-range reels ~30-60 dollars a piece. I've had several of each brand that are workhorses. Regular maintenance (hose them down with freshwater, keep them sand free when possible etc) makes these things last forever.

Rod wise, if you're on a budget I firmly support the Ugly Stik. They've got a ton of different makes and models, but the regular old ugly stik is a great starter. Most wal-mart and k-mart stores carry several versions of this rod and they're usually 20-30 bucks. They're also warrantied for 5-7 years depending on the style. I've sent broken ones back and gotten replacements pretty easily.

Good Luck!!
                  Live every week like it's shark week.

Comment

Shimano Socorro on an Ugly Stik Striper...or Tiger Lite if you have a little more to spend. Super durable combo, can't go wrong.

Comment

Go into bass pro and ask for Josh Feilder, or Arthur Guido... any salt water questions they can have you fixed up in a matter of minutes with the best stuff for the best price.

i used to work there..

Tom and harry still work there, and i bet will vouch that these guys know their stuff.. will help you with your decisions very quickly
                      Zach Moore
                      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                      Bait Towel Pro Staff
                      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                        The forum code simplifies spacing, making tables a requirement to format columns.

... More trouble than it's worth in this instance.

Thanks for cleaning that up.

Comment

[QUOTE=Skidsteer;105370]Ditto the above. St. Croix (http://stcroixrods.com/) has MANY rods spec'd on their website so you can look at the various ratings.

You can't go wrong with a St. Croix. I typically build my own rods, but St. Croix makes a really great rod...probably cheaper than I can build the same rod for myself. They are certainly pricier than some other options, but if I could only have one rod that's probably what it would be.
                          LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                          Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

I used to build my rods- there is something fantastically satisfying about catching fish on a Rod you build and have it exactly the way you want it- but as has been said- a St. Croix Tidemaster or Avid X Rod are top of the line made in the USA rods and are hard to beat for the money- you won't find them at a Wally World unless it is in coastal communities with huge tackle selection, but better tackle stores and places like Fish-USA.com website has them at decent prices...pair it up with a Curado E series, Lexa 300 or a Revo NaCL toro and you have yourself a first class inshore low profile outfit capable of handling just about anything that swims
                            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

John,

You've gotten some good advice here.

The best all-around rod is the one that works well for you. And like most of us your rod and reel collection will grow. The "best" all-around rod you buy now will not be your last. So don't stress on the choice or become overwhelmed with specifications. Pick it up in the store and if it feels comfortable and you like the flex (mindful of the fishing you will attempt with it) and if it meets your price, give it a try.

The price differential in rods is mostly due to their finish and the hardware they have -- the quality of the handle, rod seat, guides and wraps. Graphite rods have come down in price a lot over the years since they were introduced in the 1970s. There are many good serviceable rods now at reasonable prices.

Good luck,
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X