Kayak Instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Instructions

I have been paddling a "Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160" for a couple of summers now but have stayed in mostly protected waters such as the Gunpowder River out of Mariner Point Park and Dundee Creek. I have paddled the Susquehanna from Havre De Grace to Port Deposit on a calm day. As I would like to take up kayak fishing this upcoming season I would like to try more open water paddling. However I am inexperienced in open water paddling, rescues, etc. I have tried "Chesapeake Paddlers Association" and though they are a fine organization they cater to "Sea Kayakers" and Sit In Kayaks. I am looking for instruction to advance my paddling skills and was curious if anyone on this forum is interested and capable of providing such instruction. I have confidence in the abilities of my boat, not just myself. Any help or advice would be most appreciated.
    Joe
    Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160

I was nervous the first time out on the Bay, now it's old hat.

Your kayak is plenty capable for the Bay. Get out with some folks that have experience; that, and make sure you have the proper gear for the temperatures.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks, I will plan on attending the April meet and greet for the "Susquehanna Jamboree".
      Joe

Comment

In looking forward to that one, I haven't fished the flats in a decade, and never from a kayak.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Joe - The Susquehanna Flats is a good bet during the spring C&R season. Keep in mind that a breeze from the south on the Flats has the whole length of the Bay to work itself into a tizzy. Anything from the south over 10mph and I don't go... and over 15mph is h*ll no I don't go. Wind from the N or W is my preferred direction.
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
            Joe - The Susquehanna Flats is a good bet during the spring C&R season. Keep in mind that a breeze from the south on the Flats has the whole length of the Bay to work itself into a tizzy. Anything from the south over 10mph and I don't go... and over 15mph is h*ll no I don't go. Wind from the N or W is my preferred direction.
            That is good advice for the flats concerning wind. Keep that same thing in mind for other areas of the bay also. Always want the wind to be from a direction that will be minimized for wave building.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

So, while out on the water in the upper part of the bay, watch the winds from the south? Sounds like sound advice, I will heed it. Does the opposite apply if kayaking the southern end of the bay? If the winds are unfavorable, is it safe to fish further up the Susquehanna? I have launched at Jean Roberts Park in HdG and headed North up the Susquehanna. Any advice on tackle for this trip?
              Last edited by nw2yak'n; 02-07-2015, 05:34 PM.
              Joe

Comment

I doubt anybody on here is capable of providing you instruction, lol.

-The other end of the bay is a whole different game. I fish down there frequently...if you get into trouble down at places like cbbt, you can be swept out into the ocean by swift current very quickly--at least you have a chance in the upper bay. The tarpon 160 is a fine yak, but don't go out until you understand the dangers of fishing in cold water and are fully capable of self rescue. People die fishing on kayaks every year...even when the water is warm enough for you to survive for a while if you go in.
                Last edited by JohnE; 02-07-2015, 07:16 PM.

Comment

You want to think about wind direction in relation to the shoreline as land will provide a natural barrier to a big wind. So if the wind is coming from the west, fish closer along the western shoreline for calmer waters. The same applies to winds from the east, fish the eastern shoreline for calmer waters. Also pay attention to the direction of the current especially if it opposes a wind since the seas will be a lot rougher.
                  2014 Hobie Pro Angler
                  2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

Also remember to check wind changes prior to launch, and wind conditions on the return, morning launches with a calm breeze can turn into headwind on your return that can give you trouble. Been there, done that, it was not fun paddling in the 20 mph headwind on the return.
                    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I have attended a couple of "clinics" with the Chesapeake Paddlers Association and they stress safety above all else, they just don't cater to the SOT crowd. I am aware of the dangers of paddling in cold water, dress for the water temperature and not the air temperature....cotton is bad. Especially "underwear" if you are peddling a "Hobie". LOL I have watched many videos of self rescue techniques for SOT's but to date have yet to perform one. I will attempt self-rescues this upcoming season, after all I would rather practice in a "controlled environment" rather than have to attempt one out of necessity. I have learned much from this thread concerning wind and tides when it comes to kayaking open water. It would probably be prudent to check the weather "before" deciding where to launch and fish.
                      Joe

Comment

Practicing self rescue is a good idea, especially without any gear to get in the way.

I always planned on doing practice myself, but fishing got in the way...so I got to do a real world self rescue when I fell off my kayak a couple miles from shore with all my gear and lines in the water. As it turned out for me, not an issue getting back on...even in mid October dressed in cotton shorts and a teeshirt. My shorts were still wet four hours later when I quit fishing for the day.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

I'm still a little shaky when it comes to moving around in my kayak. Not comfortable turning around and reaching behind me, or even looking behind me for that matter. Maybe it's because I am usually out by myself and the last thing I want is to lose my balance and tip over or fall in. I need to get comfortable and confident out on the water, and not fear falling in, or not being able to get back into my yak. Something I intend to work on very diligently this upcoming season. Going to have to be comfortable while hauling in that big one. I should trust the secondary stability of my yak.
                          Joe

Comment

Side saddle is the way to go when it comes to getting something out of the tank well in the rear. I tried staying sitting normal and reaching back into my crate for a lure, when I did I leaned over the side a little too much and went splash. My Outback is 5" wider than your Tarpon, so I can understand being "shaky" to turn around.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

I am going to have to start moving around instead of facing forward all the time. Supposed to keep your head centered in the kayak. Maybe one day I'll be standing up in it hauling in that 60" trophy rock, or maybe fishing the CBBT for drum. One has to have a goal.
                              Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X