Spinning Reels vs. Bait Casting Reels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinning Reels vs. Bait Casting Reels

Would like some feedback of the pros/cons of spinning vs. bait casting reels. I currently use light and medium spinning reels. When would bait casters be better over spinning? It appears that bait asters are more expensive, is the cost justified? Just wondering what your opinions are.
    Last edited by J. Rentch; 02-12-2015, 06:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

They are more expensive than spinning reels and I think you have to pay a little more for them within their higher price structure to get a serviceable reel. In other words a low-end spinning reel will work better than a low-end bait caster.

To me the advantages they bring are:

1. Minimal line twist due to the level winding motion of spool.

2. Casting accuracy because you can thumb the moving spool to drop a lure precisely on target.

In some ways number 2 is an aesthetic thing. It's just fun to hit a particular spot. It may yield more fish but there is no guarantee of course. You can come almost as close to casting accuracy with spinning gear but it's harder. You'd be unlikely to put a lure in the trees with a bait caster when you're accustomed to using it. But once you let the spinning reel line go it's harder to stop the line. You can indeed feather the outgoing line with your fingers but not with the same control that you can master with a bait caster.

Now, if you're going to troll from your kayak more than cast, save your money. I see no particular advantage to bait casters for that.

For most of the tidal fishing we do around the Bay I think a spinning reel may be more practical. But if you're going to fish structure near docks and rip rap, a bait caster is hard to beat.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I was primarily a spinning reel guy for a long time, but I'm very much addicted to fishing structure like bridge pilings, bridge tunnel islands, docks...etc and don't know how I got by with spinning reels for so long. Low profile baitcasters are so much better for fishing structure. Much easier on your arms for all day piling jigging and stuff like that. Also agree about the casting accuracy and agree there is no advantage for trolling...although baitcasters are fine for trolling if you want to use one for that. If you get some with around 20lb drag or better, you are good to go for pretty much anything. Some of the forum members have pulled in huge reds and other very large fish at cbbt on little baitcasters.

Comment

I prefer to use bait casters when dropping bait straight down such as for catfish or tautog. It is much easier to make minimal depth adjustments with a bait caster over a spinning reel. I use spinning for most everything else
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

One other consideration is reel resistance to water intrusion (assuming salt water use). I had one of the best reel mechanics on the ES tell me that he would never recommend a bait caster to a kayak fisherman. His reason was that the very nature of a bait caster's design prevents them from being sealed as well as a spinner. We all know that wave splash and the occasional dunk come with being a kayak fisherman. Thus, of my ten reels only two are bait casters, and one of those is strictly fresh water.

Comment

Here is why I am slowly change over to bait casters.
            While sitting in a kayak the spinning reels are rubbing my lap or legs or hitting the kayak itself. because they are under the rod that means you have to hold them up higher than you would normally while standing in a boat so after a long day of fishing your arms are tired.. The Bait caster is on top of the rod and are more comfortable for me to fish with while in a Kayak. You also have more line control with a bait caster. I also prefer Diawa reels for the simple reason that you can re-engage the spool with the thump lever. That comes in handy while flounder fishing and paddling with the other hand. I also try to get reels that are made for the salt water environment . I have a couple of the Diawa lexa's in different sizes and a Diawa arid coastal should be here today. It has a composite frame. these reels are around $100.00..

Comment

I owned two Shimano Calcutta reels over the past 20 years. I used them for a while then sold them. I have no plans to ever purchase a baitcasting reel again. My reasons:

1) tendency to get birdsnests on spool (this is most likely my user error)
              2) smaller crank handles are hard for my large fingers and hands to turn (I do not like the double arm handle design)
              3) I do not feel that I am hindered in any way by sticking with high quality smooth spinning reels; I don't feel that I have missed any fish because of not having baitcasting gear
              4) baitcasters do not sit in my center console's rod holders as securely as the spinning rigs

But like anything related to fishing, there is no right or wrong way to fish -- whatever method and tackle you enjoy using is the right way for you. For me, it is spinning gear all the way. If you want to try baitcasters, by all means give them a try. But do it because you want to do it, not because someone in a magazine, fishing seminar, or a chat board says it is better.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

It is a good point about using baitcasters in the salt. I had the same concerns before I picked up a couple new revos last year primarily for jigging pilings, flounder fishing, and for tog. It is a good idea to carry a garden sprayer to rinse the stuff after each trip. I would not recommend them if you don't like to take care of your gear or turtle on a regular basis. I always have drinking water with me and if I accidentally get my baitcaster in the water when landing a fish or something, I will give it a quick rinse as well. I know Tufnik and comeonfish both have used a bunch of non-saltwater baitcasters extensively in the salt for a long time with few issues. I started getting more into the low profile baitcasters mostly from watching them. One of the big things for me is I have a bad shoulder and they are really much easier on you when jigging all day.

I still like my spinning reels for trolling and I also like them better for casting heavier bucktails...for example when flounder fishing in heavy current and trying to throw them as far as I can to let them drift back, so I can get the most out of each drift.

Comment

I've been using bait casters for over 35 years and have had no corrosion problems. And I'm talking ocean fishing.

As far as using them I think it's personal. I prefer them when fighting a hard fighting fish. I feel more comfortable thumbing the spool to control a hard fighting fish as opposed to holding the spool on a spinning reel. Spinning reels are better casting lighter lures. I've fished with guys who use spinning reels that are just as accurate as anyone I've seen with a bait caster. I prefer bait casters on my surf rods. I find it easier to reel in then spinners. Less fatigue on my forearm. Over runs are operator error. Practice makes perfect.

If you have a buddy that has a bait caster you could borrow I'd do that before buying one. If you live in the Annapolis area I could show you here on the South River.

Comment

Just to clarify...since there are different types of baitcasters--I'm talking about the newer style high-tech small and lightweight low profile reels that weigh around 5 to 8 oz. Correct me if I'm wrong, but skinnywater I think you might be talking more along the lines of something like the calcutta or maybe even larger like a jigmaster, which is also considered a casting reel. I can heave my old jigmasters from the surf and do prefer those most times when heaving bait from the beach, but rarely use something like that on the kayak. Though I would not mind having something like a calcutta for the kayak if I could afford one.

Comment

I'm a stickler for rinsing all my gear with freshwater after a trip to tidal water. That even includes rinsing my kayak.

Another thing I do is to immediately blow the water out of my reels with an air compressor after rinsing. Bait casters indeed have more entry points than spinning reels and I don't want water sitting in them as they dry. The air compressor gets much of the rinse water out of them. I then spray the entire reel with WD40 and let that soak into all the cracks and crevices. I do the same with my spinning gear.

I've had no corrosion problems.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. Think I will wait a bit before deciding whether to purchase one.
                        John Rentch
                        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

While I started with Abu and Daiwa Millionaires and then to Calcuttas I now use Revos. Just bought my third Monday. I have two Abu Silver Max reels that look like Revos for flounder fishing. Great flounder reels for about $70.00. I use the Revos primarily for shallow water casting for specks, reds etc. they are the best casting reels I have ever owned. I'm sure that other makes in the same price range are just as good, maybe better.

In the surf I use a Daiwa Lever Drag reel and a Daiwa Sealine Magforce reel.

The original Calcuttas were silver and lightweight compared to other bait casters on the market at that time. They were very expensive back then.

Comment

I spend a lot of my free time in the salt. Believe it or not, I have never used a bait casting rod. I was raised with spinners, raised my kids using spinners, teaching my grandkids on spinners. the debate on spinner vs caster is a personal preference IMHO. This debate is covered with all types of fishing, not just kayak fishing. I like surf fishing as well, the debate of casters vs spinners is the same. My suggestion is try each one out and go with what your like. I like to describe the caster vs spinner discussion as the same as the toilet paper debate, ( Do you like pulling the roll from the top or from the bottom). Personal choice.
                            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Tradeoffs.

Each fishing style has them.

From rods to reels to lines to lures to the kayaks we use.

Then we optimize our preferences.

Most choices in life get down to that.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                              X