Dressing for kayaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dressing for kayaking

I plan on attending the April meet and greet in Havre de Grace and was wondering what the appropriate wear for that day could be. I was thinking about heading up to Cabelas in Delaware and picking up a "polar weight" layer and was wondering if this would be too much or not enough. I know the weather can not be predicted accurately, (look at the recent snow storms we did not get) but I was wondering about the average water temperature at that time. Also, does anyone have experience with the "mythic" dry suits? They claim quality at affordable prices, around $350.00 as opposed to $1,000.00 +.
    Joe
    Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160

Originally posted by nw2yak'n View Post
    I plan on attending the April meet and greet in Havre de Grace and was wondering what the appropriate wear for that day could be. I was thinking about heading up to Cabelas in Delaware and picking up a "polar weight" layer and was wondering if this would be too much or not enough. I know the weather can not be predicted accurately, (look at the recent snow storms we did not get) but I was wondering about the average water temperature at that time. Also, does anyone have experience with the "mythic" dry suits? They claim quality at affordable prices, around $350.00 as opposed to $1,000.00 +.
    http://www.mythicdrysuits.com/blogs/...ll-of-drysuits

Never heard of this company and just found this link. The price is tempting but hyperthermia isn't something to "save" money on.

Donnie
    Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Kokatat SuperNova Angler is ~$600, but can be found cheaper. Really like mine.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Kayak Academy has some great pricing on some closeout Kokatat dry suits.

http://www.kayakacademy.com/pages/st...suit_sale.html

Check out their used suits too. I know a couple guys that have gotten used suits from them. Very reputable outfit and both guys were happy with the value.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...880#post105880

Comment

I don't think you will be cold for the April M&G. A long sleeve shirt with a light jacket should get you through early morning and will probably be too much by 10am.
          Mike

Comment

If I remember correctly the couple of times I was up there in April the water was 50 - 55 degrees? Anytime the combination of air and water temperature are under 120 degrees hypothermia can be an issue if you wind up getting wet. I would be prepared with spare dry clothing and towel in a "dry bag" just in case.
            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I have made the Jamboree for the past couple years. The air temps have been seasonable, sorry i cant remember water temps. With that said I have gotten away with wearing my GoreTex rain pants & jacket over a layer of long johns (top & bottom) and fleece pants and top. I wore my Teva "sandals" w Sealskin waterproof socks. Never felt cold...AND A LIFE JACKET!!
              Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Water is definatley in the 50-55 degree range that time of year on the flats. Remember, always dress to swim. You may be a little warm if you don't but to me that's the price to pay to be safe.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Love the Cabela polar weight base layer, thinking to much for April on the Susky. Cabela has lighter weight base layers. I also recommend Kayak Academy, great customer service, fast shipping, They have a lot of sales on close out colors of Kokatat dry suits. Unfortunately I cant make the April M&G, the Salt is calling my name that weekend.
                  Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                  Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I like that rule of thumb about both the air temp and water temp combined under 120, hypothermia is a distinct possibility. I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the post about the "mythic" dry suit, it would behoove me to consider a higher quality one. I will do more research on the kokatat suits.
                    Joe
                    Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160

Comment

Originally posted by nw2yak'n View Post
                      Ive worn my mythic drysuit about 5 times. Keep in mind, dry suits arent meant to keep you warm without base layers underneath. Having said that. Ive walked in waist deep water and come out drt as a bone. I wear boots with mine so that i dont put amy wear on the booties. There are no ankle gaskets.

Comment

So I'm still a rook at fishin from a kayak, and I know lives have been lost. I personally intend to stick to calmer waters, but those waters can be cold just the same. I don't intend on falling in.....or swimming for longer than 15 mins in freezing cold water nor do I get wet....but I've seen plenty of videos of people on the bay who seem to get pretty wet while fishing......and yes nobody intends on falling in.

All that said I elected for the warmer option, of a stocking foot neoprene wader $60, shoes $30, and will likely get the warmest cheapest dry top I can find.

This is an awesome video showing the effectiveness of each option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtgYP3Xrhdo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by BeyondTheBounds; 02-17-2015, 10:46 AM.
                        Hidden Oak 2014 NATIVE SLAYER PROPEL 13
                        Tarpon 120
                        Ascend D10T

Personal bests
                        25 &1/4" Pickerel

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
                        http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjKlcf7rw_SwanvTarJVCg
                        Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyon...46820392155412

Comment

Wearing synthetic quick-drying layers under a drysuit will help you stay warm. Also, there's nothing wrong w/Mythic drysuits. Yes, they are cheaper but the dude who owns the company is stoked to get peeps in the water in a drysuit w/o all the bells & whistles. I recommend getting one with the relief zipper, whether it's a Mythic, NRS, or Kokatat drysuit that you choose to buy. Additionally, you could throw on a windproof jacket for extra help in keeping you warm whilst paddling in cold air temps. Personally, I get hot wearing my Ko even when it's cold out but I'd rather be hot & dry than cold & wet.

Comment

Working...
                          X