Sheepshead in Maryland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheepshead in Maryland?

I was just wondering, does anyone that fishes the bay in MD have any luck with sheepshead that far up in the bay? I'm just curious as to how far into the bay they migrate. Not of lot of info on that in all my internet searches. I saw one or two references to them being caught up that way (one a record size) but very few. I know there are plenty in my neighborhood from the CBBT to Back River Reef, but I was thinking they should move at least at little further into the bay.
    2013 WS Ride 135
    2015 WS Ride 115

I think the only Md opportunities for Sheepies is Ocean city
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I believe the state record was caught just south of hoopers island in the bay.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...p?story_id=278
      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

The best place to consistently catch them in any numbers is the OC inlet. A typical fish there seems to run in the 18-22 in range and an average morning normally produces 4-5 sheepies with the occasional tog or black drum mixed in, especially when October rolls around. I think the last sheepie I caught this year was during the first week of October.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
          The best place to consistently catch them in any numbers is the OC inlet. A typical fish there seems to run in the 18-22 in range and an average morning normally produces 4-5 sheepies with the occasional tog or black drum mixed in, especially when October rolls around. I think the last sheepie I caught this year was during the first week of October.
          I think it is harder to catch a sheep in OC than it is off the CBBT. Kudos to those guys that have figured out the OC bite. I would love to catch on inside north of Tangier.
          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I think the sheepshead used to come farther up the bay when there was a better oyster population. The oysters grew into reefs and attracted a variety of species. There are probably some old wrecks or oyster bars that haven't been wiped out yet you could find them in still.
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I plan to find a spot this summer further inshore to target them when I can't get out to the CBBT. The old oyster bars makes sense. That will help me narrow it down a bit
              2013 WS Ride 135
              2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

i seem to remember someone catching a small one off sandy point a few springs ago
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X