Sonar/gps deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonar/gps deal

West Marine has the Lowrance Elite 5 Gen 2 gps"/sonar unit on sale for $349.00 includes transducer free shipping to store. That's $250.00 off.

I know some are looking to upgrade. I do not work for, or have any affiliation with West Marine.

Thanks for bringing this deal to our attention. I believe you confused two different Lowrance models in your description above. The great sale price ($349) applies to the HDS-5 Gen 2 model, not to the Elite line, which is a different product line. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/lowran...LeWBoCsNvw_wcB I own two of the HDS-5 Gen 2 units -- one that has been on my center console for several seasons, and a second one that I just installed on my Slayer Propel 10 two weeks ago.

The HDS-5 has good sonar and GPS capabilities, but does not include down-scan. If you are willing to spend a bunch of extra money and install a second transducer, you can add a side-scan capability to the HDS-5. This sales package appears to include not only the screen unit, but also a transducer and pre-installed Nautic Insight mapping software. The Nautic Insight covers the Chesapeake and other marine areas giving typical mapping features and depth contours. If you are primarily a freshwater fisherman, you should look for a deal that includes the Lake Insight software instead. In either case, it would be wise to verify which software, if any, comes with the sales unit.

Why the low price? Lowrance has begun introducing the HDS Gen3 series and has a more expensive HDS Gen 2 touchscreen line available. Therefore, the HDS Gen 2 series is no longer being manufactured. I bought one last November for $400 and was pleased with that price. At $349, it is even a better deal.

In a quick search of the West Marine website, I found that the Elite 5 HDI unit is also on sale for $399. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/lowran...ombo--14706667 This model includes both sonar and downscan, plus GPS. It appears to include a transducer and some mapping software (possibly the lake software).
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I'm shopping for a fish finder ATM. So far I'm leaning toward Elite 5 hdi since it has both sonar & down scan on a single tranducer. What do you guy think?

Comment

the only other option with down scan in that price range is probably the dragonfly. I'm looking around too for an upgrade and leaning towards the dragonfly. What I cant determine is Lowrance has a "gold" series of electronics that seems to have something to do with the charting, but so far I'm not sure which is better and why.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

The gold in the name means it comes with the Navionics Gold chart chip, this will give you more detailed depths, contours, and points of interest. Those charts/maps are allot more detailed then the Lowrance models with only the base maps.
          Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

I saw a gold elite 5 hdi on amazon for around $380. I think its a better deal than West marine. You can find base Elite 5 hdi for cheaper than $399 though

Comment

Whatever model you buy, make sure that it comes with the transducer and mapping software that helps with the waters in which you fish.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John:

I was born confused. Sorry for the mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
                  I'm shopping for a fish finder ATM. So far I'm leaning toward Elite 5 hdi since it has both sonar & down scan on a single tranducer. What do you guy think?
                  You'll like it for striper fishing, especially trolling...helps with finding places to catch Spot also.

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  Whatever model you buy, make sure that it comes with the transducer and mapping software that helps with the waters in which you fish.
                  Agree. The built in base map on the Lowrance units is pretty good for the bay...I don't know how much better the Navonics Gold maps are, but they must add detail.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                  X