Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kayak recommendations

hello, all...
    I'm new to kayak fishing and excited to get into a new hobby that will probably drive my wife crazy. I've been researching a bit but before I commit to something I wanted to get some feedback from those who have been doing this for a while. I think I'm set on a sit on kayak so far. I'll probably be fishing mostly in the severn river (I'm in crownsville) but I'd like to have something that could handle the bay. I went to bass pro today and looked at this one:

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS128T...2102505321116/

I'd like to stay under $700 if possible. The guy at bass pro said its mostly made for fresh water. I'd love some suggestions on bay-worth kayaks that you all use. Thanks everyone!

kayak recommendations

I don't know much of Ascend but I currently own an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 I'm sure the Ascend is a decent boat But for near the same amount of money you can find some other quality yaks. I sent you a PM with some information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by assists21; 02-21-2015, 03:26 PM.
    Mike

"But by the grace of God I am what I am..." - I Cor. 15:10
    Native Watercraft Slayer Propel - Cooperhead

Comment

Buy a used higher end kayak, craigslist is where I'd be doing my shopping if I was trying to get into the sport with your intended price range. The better kayak you get at the start the more you'll like it, and be less likely to replace it quickly or be disappointed and give up on the sport before you get going.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        Buy a used higher end kayak, craigslist is where I'd be doing my shopping if I was trying to get into the sport with your intended price range. The better kayak you get at the start the more you'll like it, and be less likely to replace it quickly or be disappointed and give up on the sport before you get going.
        +1
        Mike

"But by the grace of God I am what I am..." - I Cor. 15:10
        Native Watercraft Slayer Propel - Cooperhead

Comment

I've had the Ascend D10T and now use the Ascend FS12T. My only reason for going with Ascend the second time was because they allowed me to return the defective D10T for store credit toward another yak.

I did quite a bit of fishing out of the D10T and will say I like the FS12T MUCH better.

To me though, the FS128T is not worth the extra price and weight to have a swivel seat and 2 extra small hatches.

You could definitely find a good slightly used or maybe even a new yak for the price of the FS128T. I have never paddled another brand, but I have a decent list of things that could use some improvement with the Ascend yaks.
          Mike

Comment

You can try Kayaks out at Annapolis Canoe and Kayak. I did. I think it cost me $25 and I ended up buying a Trident 13. I could have applied the $25 to buy a kayak there but I bought instead from Austin Kayak. A lot of people on this forum buy there. Join the Texas Kayak Fishing Association for free. Get 10% off a kayak at Austin Canoe and Kayak and 15% off on all accessories. Delivery is free and you save on the sales tax.

Comment

There could be a couple used kayaks listed here right now that would serve your needs

If you want something NEW.West Marine has 2 good kayaks that are superior to the Ascend. First is the Pompano120 http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...sand--12972444 which is really and older Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 without the built in seat back. It has an awesome anchor trolly and some other nice feature and it is pretty fast....it currently sells for $549 which is a steal for this nice boat BUT if you contact DOGFISH here on the forum he can tell you if they are likely to come on sale soon (he works at West Marine in Annapolis). He alerted me a few years ago and I got one for well under $400. I doubt you could get a used boat as good for the same price. You will have to buy a seat...I have pics of how mine seat is set up.Here is pics of my boat being used by my son and wife...including a pic of the boat being used in the bay in some pretty rough conditions

West Marine also still sells the old Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 for only 799 which has caught many many fish in the bay and all over the world. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/ocean-...lage--14196810 It is not as nice as the Trident, but us a good boat.

Both boats would be easy to resell if you decide to upgrade.....both could easiy be handled by the wife....the Pompano is real light so even out of the water it is easily handled by my wife.

HEre is a used boat for a pretty good deal listed on this site. It is a Ride, which a lot of guys like....much slower than the Pompano/Tarpon but super stable http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...-2012-Ride-135
              Last edited by kevinfry; 02-21-2015, 06:35 PM.
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

If you look under the tackle shop someone has a GREAT deal on a 2012 ride 135. I think around 580 for it. Not as fast as some other boats but a great all a rounder
                Tan-Tarpon 140
                Lime-Pelican Matrix
                Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Two good used boats at Appomatox River Company too....if you don't mind the drive.
                  Necky vector 13...very fast sit on top $600

Prowler Big Game $600
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

if you want something that can really handle the bay, I am selling my Pro Angler in the Tackle shop forum. Check it out!!
                    2015 Outback
                    2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

I have a Pompano120 that I bought during a sale for around $400. While there are a dozen things I don't like about it, most of my issues come from weighing 220ish and the boat only being rated for 350lbs. It has thus far been great for learning on and even though I am looking to upgrade this spring I would still recommend it as an intro yak. Even after I buy a better fishing yak I still plan on keeping the pompano around to loan to friends to try and lure them into this madness.

I will say, however, no matter what you buy, spend as much as you can bear on a seat. The difference between the $40 seat I started with and the $200 one I have now is unbelievable. It has about doubled the amount of time I can spend on the water as now my arms give out before my back/butt start cramping up.
                      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I would rely on someone with more experience than me as I have only had one Kayak and I got it in July or August of last summer. I will just add this. I got a new Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 for under $700 and it was brand new. I got it at Wilderness Canoe Trips in Wilmington and as a bonus.....no sales tax.
                        Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
                        Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Wow, thanks everyone! This has been very helpful.

Comment

I second the Pompano as great beginner kayak with one caveat. It is the same boat as the Perception Pescador 120 and the Perception model comes with a half way decent seat. You have to add the cost of a seat to the Pompano.

Can be seen here.
                            http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/perc...yak/pid-981956

I've seen these sell new for as low as $400 once in a great while but you should be able to easily find one on sale at $500.

Had mine for three years now and really don't feel the need to upgrade. I do wish for more room once in a while but that is gonna come along with more weight. Have had it in everything from rocky rivers to the surf and it handles well.

Comment

Duck village outfitters in NC has pescador 12's for $500 on the dot. also I have personally seen both the boats at ARC and they are nice. The necky is super fast. Last I checked they did not have a seat for the prowler. That sucker is a battleship for sure though, super wide

Comment

Working...
                              X