Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
    Looked at your wish list, my 2ยข:

1) I would get a trolling bait bucket over the bait bag you have listed.

2) I haven't fished with anyone that used a drift sock around here.
    With the trolling bucket be good to hold spot or do I need to go with like a five gallon live well? I plan on live lining some. Also I thought the drifting anchor might be cool for drifting flounder but it is probably overkill.

Comment

I would also appreciate any suggestions on how to catch a rock fish out there I've trolled and lived line but never from a kayak

Comment

Originally posted by Scarfish View Post
        With the trolling bucket be good to hold spot or do I need to go with like a five gallon live well? I plan on live lining some. Also I thought the drifting anchor might be cool for drifting flounder but it is probably overkill.
        I use the Frabill Flow-Troll, it works fine for spot. I've got a piece of cordage about 5' long with a carabiner to connect it to the kayak.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Welcome to the forum and attend as many meet and greets as you can. It's a good way to see how the veterans have things rigged/gear and so on. I learn more and more everytime I fish with snaggedliners. Do you have a fishfinder and VHF radio?

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
            Welcome to the forum and attend as many meet and greets as you can. It's a good way to see how the veterans have things rigged/gear and so on. I learn more and more everytime I fish with snaggedliners. Do you have a fishfinder and VHF radio?
            Thanks for the warm welcome! I plan on attending as many meet and greets I can and have marked off the calendar. No I don't have either. I will tackle those next. Recommendations? Gps would be nice but not sure if all that's in budget.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Scarfish View Post
              kevinfry everything is negotiable
              Ha Ha you bet! I you should join us down in St Mary;s first and then reciprocate
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

FF/GPS combination is a great tool. It will put more fish on the hook when you learn how to use it. I can't go back to fishing blind.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Scarfish - I have only been kayak fishing for a little over a year but have learned many things and the first one is when in doubt take your time before buying things and ask questions. I know I have much more to learn one of the reasons for the addiction also imo. It will save you alot of money in the long haul to take your time. Yes i definitely recommend a fishfinder similiar to this one and a waterproof vhf radio which will allow you to communicate with others for both safety and knowledge. Hope to see you on the water when it gets warmer.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                    Ha Ha you bet! I you should join us down in St Mary;s first and then reciprocate
                    It's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                      Scarfish - I have only been kayak fishing for a little over a year but have learned many things and the first one is when in doubt take your time before buying things and ask questions. I know I have much more to learn one of the reasons for the addiction also imo. It will save you alot of money in the long haul to take your time. Yes i definitely recommend a fishfinder similiar to this one and a waterproof vhf radio which will allow you to communicate with others for both safety and knowledge. Hope to see you on the water when it gets warmer.
                      I appreciate that advice. I want to get outfitted and ready to go. I can't afford to do it all at once anyway. Do you recommend a good floating VHF? Safety first.

Comment

Floating means smaller battery and less run time. I opted for non-floating Standard Horizon HX-280, and added a tether cord.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

This is as good of a deal as you will find on a gps/vhf radio... I picked one of these up..

The radio isn't necessarily a must have off the start.. stick with the basics... pfd/whistle/paddle/fishing rod(s)

Comment

Just picked up an ocean kayak trident 11, going to try it out this weekend. I've never gone above Cove Pt fishing in a kayak. Would like to try the discharge at Calvert Cliffs, when it gets warmer, lots of potential to get wet there. Paddling around Solomons, there's plenty of small stripers and snapper blues once the water gets a bit warmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                              Floating means smaller battery and less run time. I opted for non-floating Standard Horizon HX-280, and added a tether cord.
                              Personally, I think that the non-floating Standard Horizon radios are built better than their floating models that I've seen. I've got (2) HX-270's that I've had for years and they are still going strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X