Welcome HobieNoob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome HobieNoob

See you signed up yesterday, welcome to the site. Assume your user name means you have a new Hobie? Lots of good information and plenty of people who will answer your questions

Bryan

welcome aboard

welcome aboard and if you need additional kayak information you will find it here. just post and learn. I myself have a hobie and love it. have a great day.

fjarhead

Comment

Ha. Thanks for the welcome. I was going to try and be stealthy and just show up for the M & G. Yeah, I bought a green Hobie Outback last month. Its my first yak and I love it. I caught a 15" walleye at Triadelphia on my maiden voyage. Until I catch another, I'm calling it my "$2000 fish".

I ran into Tom at BassPro : "MeduYakee", he told me about this group and he helped me pick out some gear like rod floaters, portable fish finder, and a nice bay rod/reel.

This weekend I took my yak to a swimming pool to practice some survival training and setup the fish finder. Good thing I did, first attempt to get into the boat with vest in deep water, I capsized the boat, put a nice knot on my forehead, and dumped the mirage drive to the bottom of the pool. After my initial blunder, I managed to get in ungracefully three times.

So my first set of noob questions are: How often do you guys fall out of your yaks? and will it fry my portable fishfinder?

Comment

I haven't fallen out yet, and from what I've experienced...I gotta be doing something extreme to fall out. It'll take a big wave to do it by itself. But I imagine a lean to the limit, plus an unsuspecting wave can do it...
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

My buddy managed to flip my old Outback somehow a few years ago. The fish finder was on and under water while I towed it back to the launch. I left the display in the car on a couple sunny afternoons, hit all the terminals with DeOxyit a few times, and it's been good ever since. I have a Humminbird 565, and it's supposed to be waterproof, but I wasn't sure if that mean submersible. This was in saltwater, too.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Welcome to the site.

I have dunked one time in 2 years and it was all my fault. One thing i have learned is the kayak follows your head. If you lean back and hang your head to the side of the kayak it will tilt in that direction. Keep you head centered when lifting anchors or a stringer out of the water. Maybe i have a big head though

That said it can and will happen when you least expect. Its better to be prepared for that situation and trying it out in a pool first was a smart move.

Comment

Working...
            X