summer of the cat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• summer of the cat?

caught this one this morning on a bw while croaker fishing from the wall at the navy rec on the severn. also caught some croakers.

water was very murky no were as clear as eastern bay was yesterday.

a lot of cat are being caught in the waters that you usually think as too salty for them, i guess with all the rain the salinity is way down.
    Attached Files

Thats just nasty!

Comment

Thanks for the report that's a health looking cat. Did it go in the pot?

We need a dry week or two to get the water cleared up and chase all these invaders up the bay.

Comment

yeah i had to fight it to the rocks by the ramp to get him. fat little kitty glad it hit the rod with 30# diamond braid

Comment

Nice Job Surf. Those kitties look quite healthy and they are nice size. Did you release them or did you cook'em?

Comment

back in to be caught another day

Comment

While carp fishing yesterday, I also caught some healthy looking catfish....so for the first time, I decided to keep one. It was a 6 lb channel cat, and to be honest, I'm not sure I'd bring another home. I filleted it and fried it in a flour, cornmeal mixture, but the meat is just too chewy. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing...do any of you guys know a better way to cook them? There are so many in the bay and they yield pretty much meat that it's a shame they don't taste better.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
              Kokatat Pro Staff
              Torqeedo Pro Staff
              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
              Alan

Comment

Congrats on catching those nice catfish. I think fun to catch but would put 'em back. Any catfish I've eaten were smaller and from clean, clear reservoirs. Or, farmed. You are what you eat! And the water you live in!!

Comment

Nice work on the cats there. I haven't seen a channel cat that fat in a long time. Did they hit your special salted bws or were you using fresh?
                  Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

The Blue catfish I have been catching in the Potomac/Wicomico were all delicious- but I am an old boy from the hills of Arkansas who has eaten catfish all my life- my recipe is pretty basic- generously dust with Tony Chachere cajun seasons the catfish filets cut in one inch thickness, coat with yellow or white corn meal- drop in 375 degree hot peanut or soybean oil- fry until fish floats to top, golden brown- serve hot with tartar sauce or malt vinegar-
                    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-05-2011, 04:09 PM.
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

it hit a fresh bw with a fishbite teaser. didnt even make the bell go off saw the line going slack as it moved toward me. not eating them from here, when i lived in gulf port miss. we used to net blue cats and sell them for $0.85 per lbs uncleaned those bayou cats were some pretty cats

Comment

Blue Channel Cats are delicious .......... at least the last time I ate them which is about 30 years ago. Used to clean em .... skin em ..... wrap in alumium foil with salt pepper and sometimes a dash of old bay and a bunch of butter. Thrown into the coals of a campfire and baked until it seemed done ... 10 - 15 minutes I guess .......... meat was sweeeet and came right off of the bone ......... corn on the cob ....... a few fresh locally grown tomatoes and hush puppies .......... feast for a King .........

Mud Cats ......... yeck ........ blaagh ........ gag

Comment

BCC yum, did that many times throw in some mud bugs and u got a cajun feast! its funny fishing the bayous you can catch cats, lg mouth bass, sheeps heads and reds in the same 100yd area of water

Comment

Working...
                          X