spsp fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spsp fly

Tomorrow morning. 6/7. Im gonna go throw attempt to fly fish the rocks. I've been taking youtune lessons lol.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Let us know how it goes! It's definitely a different way to fish, but there are times where it definitely has an advantage. Check out KN at night on an outgoing tide by the DNR. Fish are usually 12-16" but it's a blast bc it's cast after cast. Just take some small crappie jigs in white and you'll be good to go.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Its not to hard. Wind may mess you up but other than that all good. good luck with it. Let me know how you do.
      Malibu Stealth 14
      Perception Caster 12.5

Comment

Step 1 - find the fish

Step 2 - cast to the fish using fast sinking line (I use either a 350 or 450 line usually) and saltwater flies that emulate the baitfish that are there ........... sometimes large and sometimes the Clouser minnow ............

Step 3 - let it sink to the bottom

Step 4 - put the rod under your arm and strip as fast as you can ..........

I've seen several days where the fly rods out caught the lures

Main thing is you have to find the school on the DF

Comment

Sink tip from the rocks and you'll be ready to punch a puppy. Stick with floating or intermediate line till you get the casting down. MM's tip is really better suited to a boat and there isn't much casting. It's a slow presentation and he's right, sometimes that presentation really kills them bc your fly sits in the strike zone more naturally and the current or slightest twitch of your line causes the fly to move.

If you're starting out (which I know you are from our discussion on sat...) floating line is the easiest to cast. Flies are stupid expensive and you're going to loose a lot so check out the marabou crappie jigs with the super light heads, it's like 10 for a $1 sometimes and they work well.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

good luck, i need to get mine out and practice also

Comment

Yeah Pinch ........... good luck .......... my post wasn't for the rocks ........ haven't had the best of luck there but I've only fished it by boat .......... mine was for the structure (humps etc) and schools you find on the df. A guy out fished me 2-1 on a breaking school @ CBBT with a flyrod and We bailed them from a school on the bottom @ the gas docks ........... as I said ...... gotta find the school first ......

Good luck at the rocks ........ let us know how you do .......

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                good luck, i need to get mine out and practice also
                You better do that in private and not out on the rocks.

Comment

with you just starting out with the long rod I would not recommend a 350-450grain line, I use a 375 grain Rio outbound short on my 9wt and it requires a lot of rod to pickup and cast the entire line without it collapsing. you do need some sort of lead cored tip though and I would recommend just putting on a 5 foot sink tip like those used for shad fishing. I don’t know what weight rod you are using but you shouldn’t have a problem casting a sinktip with anything from 7-10wt. I don’t particularly like them as they don’t have that great a sink rate but they are much easier to cast then a full shooting head and will get the flys down. Memory Maker is correct though eventually you will need a heavy sinking line though and I’d suggest getting something with a shorter head, the outbound short and the airflow depthfinder quickmax are what I use and have slightly shorter I think like 28-30foot heads where as the normal outbound/depthfinder have somewhere between 35-38ft heads. The shorter head is easier to cast and loads faster which is great from the kayak. Learn the doublehaul, get a collapsable stripping basket, use chartreuse and white clousers, get the tides right, and you should be set.

btw saltwater flyfishing is a slippery slope and incredibly addictive. im bringing my heavier setups with me to hatteras tomorrow and hopefully am going to get into some schoolie dolphin and small tuna. This would require the guys to stop billfishing of course which is a tough thing to do on this boat. anyway hope that helps, fish the breakwater and the old/new bridges at the narrows and even the point up where the chester comes in.
                  Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Hey Pinch hows the rod, I been contemplating weather to by a surf rod or a fly rod for a couple of weeks, never fly fished before but if you stick with it I am always up for buying a rod and joining you at SPSP and laughing at each other try to learn how to fly fish.
                    Don't know if it works until you try it.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
                    LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

Hints went pretty well. I was actually surprised I was consistently casting well. Im gonna need practice from sitting in a kayak though. I only managed 2 wp on a gummy minnow. Im still trying to figure out all the fly fishing lingo....tippet, leader weight ratings and such. All in all not bad.
                      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Nice job. Yea it has to be challenging from a low position like a kayak. i haven't done that
                        Malibu Stealth 14
                        Perception Caster 12.5

Comment

Nice work on the perch and not bad for the first time out. As far as casting from a yak, I have medium-ish 5wt that is easy to cast from a yak. Casting my fast 9wt is another ball game. Much less forgiving and harder to get the rod to load. I haven't fooled with it much lately because I was hoping to use it for flounder and reds at PLO. That didn't pan out last year.
                          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                          X