Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scotty or Ram rod holders for trolling ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotty or Ram rod holders for trolling ?

So I'm in the process of adding rod holders to my new Hobie outback. I gotta say I'm a little disappointed with the depth of the ones molded into the boat...I'm curious what people are using and finding works well for trolling.

Anyone using the ones Hobie makes ? (The molded-in rod holder extensions)

Thanks in advance for your input-
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

When I had a hobie I did use the extenders. As for Scotty or ram, if you get ram get the newer locking mounts rather than the ball type especially if you fish salt. The ram balls are ok for smaller fresh species but I have the ball mount constantly pull down in salt with stripers and such. Just ordered the newer locking mounts, kinda looks like Scotty mounts but with one touch button release.
    Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I'll post some pics of what I have installed on my revo here in a few. I use Scotty adjustable tubes that mount into the spine base flush mounts.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I recently installed gt175 8" gear tracs behind the molded in holders (I got 1 16" and cut it in half to save about $10). They are just long enough to hold Yakattack Scotty track mounting kit for my rocket launchers and also my visicarbon on a scotty gear head. The molded in holders can still be used as well. The molded in holders are ok for trolling, but I can't have stuff sticking out at angles like that all the time (fishing bridge pilings...etc).

20150319_211517.jpg
        Last edited by JohnE; 04-09-2015, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Scotty on gear tracs ......... They have 2 Tbolts for a solid mount and they won't slip like Ram mounts

Comment

Working...
          X