Is it safe to go back in the water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it safe to go back in the water?

I have been patiently sitting out the winter, not wanting to freeze to death. I am anxious to get back out on my yak and get some fish. I have hip waders and a "splash top".. not good enough for freezing water but good enough for moderately cold water if I am willing to quit for the day if I fall in the drink I would think.

Having said all that.. what temps should a "non-hardcore" and "moderately geared" yakker shoot for? Water temp in the mid 50s and air temp in the 70s? that is just a wild guess.

What temps do you all shoot for? What other factors do you look at when deciding to go back out?
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Above 60* gives you a minimum two hour survival time if you go in the drink. I never go out until the temp gets up to 60*. I have gone over a couple of times and one was a lengthy time and I am still here.

John
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I go by the 120* rule.

http://piddlepaddlekayak.com/120-rule-of-thumb/
      2014 Hobie Pro Angler
      2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

I got the nerve up to go out last week. Chest waders and a pretty tight splash top, which will supposedly keep you fairly dry if you get out of the water quick. Wasn't to nervous staying fairly close to shore or near other kayakers and boaters at Ft. Smallwood.

I wouldn't push it this time of year and get into any out of the way areas or iffy water but think it's time to venture out. That being said if you do freeze to death or something I do not want to be held accountable in any way. I'm loading up now to head back up to Ft. Smallwood in the morning. Weather is looking real good with next to no winds. Paddletails and jigheads are all you need.

Comment

Low wind and proximity to shore, not water temperature are the most important criteria in my go/no-go decision.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mill Creek - about 51 degrees near the mouth at the end of the day. Very likely in the 40's in the morning.

Up one of the feeder creeks it was 56 degrees at the end of the day.

Fish shallow creeks at the end of the day where it is noticeably warmer - 60 degrees won't be long from now in the right locations.

Comment

I remember going swimming on the Jersey shore with water temps of 60 deg as a kid. It felt pretty cold but did not seem dangerous. I would wait until 60 degrees to be safe. I do know the 50/50 rule. In 50 degree water you have 50 minutes before hypothermia kicks in. This means you have 50 min to assume the fetal position and float with your life vest until someone plucks you out of the water before you die. You really only would have a few minutes to make any meaningful movements/ strategy to safe yourself. It would only take a few minutes to lose muscle control/ operate a cell phone/ save yourself in the 50 degree range. Stay close to shore and avoid any weather that is not near perfect in the early spring. PS- remember... the initial cold shock phenomenon of gasping for air when first hitting the cold water...deadly. PPS- I remember doing ER training in my residency and we would never declare anyone dead if the body was still cold. Once the body is warmed and no sign of life then we could declare the patient deceased... cold water 'deaths' have been reversed by warming.

Comment

A little "warming" would have been a lifesaver this winter for sure

Comment

Working...
                X