Potomac - 06/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac - 06/12

The river is down and needs to be fished. Two of us are going to do a float between Brunswick and POR Sunday morning if anyone has any interest. Meet at POR & 15 interchange at 7:30-8am. All are welcome
    Malibu Stealth 14
    Perception Caster 12.5

hmm

maybe.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

check the salinity down at the DC line area- I am thinking all the hot dry weather has caused the water in the Potomac to get back to normal faster than usual-if that is true, we should have some kind of a day June 11th at the M&G down south where the salt should be high-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Water is looking great - maybe Saturday too

For those who can't float the Potomac on Sunday, some of us from the Potomac River Smallmouth Club will be floating on Saturday. This will be an unofficial PRSC outing but the members are familiar with the waters and know the rapids well enough to help new comers shoot them with minimal scraping or turtling.

All welcome. Will post more details today.

Comment

Originally posted by fredneckyaker View Post
          The river is down and needs to be fished.
          Yeah, it does! Worst spring for me since I moved to the area in 1998!

Originally posted by BadAssBass View Post
          For those who can't float the Potomac on Sunday, some of us from the Potomac River Smallmouth Club will be floating on Saturday. This will be an unofficial PRSC outing but the members are familiar with the waters and know the rapids well enough to help new comers shoot them with minimal scraping or turtling.

Really interested to do one of these. But, this weekend I'm doing the June meet & greet at PLO state park so a no go for me this weekend. Another time?

Been thinking to join PRSC. Was a member long ago but business travel interrupted everything in my life. Now, no more travel...

Comment

I have been wanting to do a float trip on that section of the Potomac for some time. That area is full of smallmouths. I used to wade fish around POR and 100 fish days were common. Not large fish but it was a blast on fly and UL tackle.

Good luck with your trip.

Comment

Good Luck Steve on Saturday. Post up your prizes when you get back. Gonna hit the tridelphia with pops. I know the M&G is going on but for those who can make it, we are still on for Sunday morning.
              Malibu Stealth 14
              Perception Caster 12.5

Comment

[QUOTE=jffoley;11518]Yeah, it does! Worst spring for me since I moved to the area in 1998!

Really interested to do one of these. But, this weekend I'm doing the June meet & greet at PLO state park so a no go for me this weekend. Another time?

QUOTE]

What does PLO stand for? And location? Could I park a trailer?

Comment

Point Lookout State Park in southern maryland

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclan...intlookout.asp

Comment

More details on Saturday float

For those interested in floating the Potomac, if you are inexperienced, you would be better off going Sunday with FredNeckYaker and company on Sunday float from Brunswick to Point of Rockes. It will be fun and there are lots of fish.

If you have whitewater experience, then you are welcome to joins us Saturday for the Rt 340 bridge to to Brunswick float.

Please advise me ASAP if you wish to go Saturday, so that I can give a count. Will provide additional details if some of you committ. Some of the details are below.

__________________________________________________ ____________

From Jamie Gold

To all:

We are going to do the Rte 340 to Brunswick trip. We will meet at the Rte 340 bridge at 7 am, unload our boats, drive as many cars as we can down to Brunswick and then shuttle back up to the Rte 340 Bridge in as few cars as 2possible. Its going to be warm tomorrow, so bring lots of water.

At this point my count is:
                    Jamie Gold
                    Herschel Finch – glad you can now join us
                    Steve Kimm (and possibly a friend)
                    Jay Copsey
                    Possibly Steve Graves and friends

For Steve Graves and Steve Kimm, please let me know today as to whether your friends are going to join us. I want to have an accurate count for tomorrow.

Thanks,
                    Jamie

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Jamie Gold <Jamie.Gold@ixicorp.com> wrote:
                    Steve:

... my first choice is Rte. 340 bridge to Brunswick.

Since this is not a Club trip, and therefore the Club is not liable for anything that happens, others are welcome to come along. However, it depends on the skill level of the boaters. You can handle that stretch, but if your friends are newbies, that is not the stretch for them. Of particular concern to me is coming through Knoxville Falls. I have dumped there and am concerned about people not used to whitewater getting through there.

A better stretch for the less experienced (which also has good fishing) would be Brunswick to Point of Rocks. The put-in is at a big boat launch right in the town of Brunswick. The take-out is on the Virginia side of the River where the Rte 15 bridge crosses the Potomac.

Comment

Thanks FishYaker

Originally posted by rol716 View Post
                      Point Lookout State Park in southern maryland

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclan...intlookout.asp
                      I did visit the website and tried to call PLO park manager. Wrong number listed on the website.

Does anyone know if they charge to launch kayaks? See a $10 per vehicle boat launch fee. And could I park my trailer? Guessing yes if they have boat fees.

Comment

i may come out on sunday. probably going to leave the battery and motor at home this time, who knows.
                        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I did visit the website and tried to call PLO park manager. Wrong number listed on the website.

Does anyone know if they charge to launch kayaks? See a $10 per vehicle boat launch fee. And could I park my trailer? Guessing yes if they have boat fees.
                          there is a small beach where you can launch a yak for free (behind the takle shop) however you cant drive up to it. when i was there i put in on the beach then took out at the boat ramp b/c it was easier. tomorrow ill most likely just pay the $10.
                          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Check the M&g thread bc some of those questions have been answered. Trailer you can park and pay like a boat, I think it is $10. Just get your PA boat ready and then launch at the ramp like a boat. There will be other guys around I'm sure that can hold it for you while you park. The kayak launch is by the marina store, so the ramp puts you a little closer to the inlet.
                            Last edited by Redfish12; 06-10-2011, 02:03 PM.
                            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                              i may come out on sunday. probably going to leave the battery and motor at home this time, who knows.
                              Great, yea may not be a bad idea. Less head ache and current does most of the work. Look forward to it
                              Malibu Stealth 14
                              Perception Caster 12.5

Comment

Working...
                              X