Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you using to catch the big ones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you using to catch the big ones?

i was using a 5 inch white Paddletail on one rod and an XR-10 crank bait on the other trolling rod with no added weight on either. I used 3/4 oz. buck tail jig on a third rod that I periodically jig fished with. I caught 2 on the jig rod and 2 with the paddle tail. I got one solid bite on the XR-10, but he got off quick, I may have had the drag set too loose? I used 20 lb fluorocarbon leaders....wondering if I should use more heavy duty leaders? I actually saw a fair number of larger fish on the FF, but didn't seem like they were interested.

If you are going after the really big ones, 20lb will likely give you problems while attempting to land them. I have had 30lb break when struggling to land a huge striper. From that time on, I use 50 or 60lb fluoro leaders when I am using larger baits and I think there is a chance of catching a 30-40lb fish like that one. My largest spring time fish have been caught on mojos with 8" soft plastic shad and 6" curly tails on 3/4 to 1 oz jig heads.

Comment

This one was caught on an XR-12 https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake....type=1&theater

This one was caught on an SRR 14 https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake....type=1&theater

Both in the last two days. My leader is 20# fluroro which will occasionally break. I don't grab it to land the fish though. I use a boga style grip.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

This one (and most of the smaller fish I caught yesterday) came on a yozuri minnow. I tried a variety of larger baits and paddletails but somehow that lure looked tasty to everyone.
        John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
        Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

5" ripple tail with a 1/2oz jig head yesterday.
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I have Yozuri too...7 inches....knew I should have used that thing yesterday!
            Yozuri.jpg

Thinking about using a 12 inch plastic jelly worm next week too....the paddletails seem to get consistent results though, so I'll probably always troll one of those and then use the other rod to experiment.

Jhoss, were you out at Beverly Triton around 4:30 with another kayaker? Might have been you I saw. I was trolling with the motor further out from shore.

Comment

Nope
              John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
              Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by YakCapn View Post
                I have Yozuri too...7 inches....knew I should have used that thing yesterday!
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]15335[/ATTACH]

Thinking about using a 12 inch plastic jelly worm next week too....the paddletails seem to get consistent results though, so I'll probably always troll one of those and then use the other rod to experiment.

Jhoss, were you out at Beverly Triton around 4:30 with another kayaker? Might have been you I saw. I was trolling with the motor further out from shore.

I used a 7 inch or 5 inch Yozuri six hours yesterday with no luck, so you didn't miss anything.

Comment

Working...
                X