In the market for a used Hobie Outback, looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the market for a used Hobie Outback, looking for advice

I'm FINALLY getting a mirage drive! HALLELUJAH! Gotta buy used, unless someone wants to give me a $1000 extra for the 2015... Someday I'll upgrade to that beautiful seat and improved mirage drive... someday...

Wondering if there is anything I should be looking out for, in terms of areas that are most commonly damaged, or anything else. Also any other advice is appreciated. I've been looking around, but there are so many forum threads it's hard to filter through all the posts.

I saw the one 2012 posted in the FS section, but was thinking I could get more out for $1400... Am I crazy to think that?

Thanks.

Hobie hold value pretty well. If you find one cheap, jump on it...but make sure you check for neglect/abuse/damage.

There are likely "new" demo and hold over models that weren't sold when the new 2015 models came out.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

thanks for the reply. I guess there's not many problems with outbacks... some people have cracks around the mirage drive hole, or scuppers. but that's about all I could find.

Comment

If Tufnik still has his for sale, you should probably look at getting his. The guy really takes good care of his kayaks. Be careful with cheap deals on craigslist or ebay--there could be something seriously wrong that they're not telling you. I think you will be safer buying from somebody on snaggedline. However, I would really recommend finding some way to come up with the funds for the new outback. It is not just the seat. You get the new and improved mirage drive. Plus you will also be able to add the huge rectangular hatch, which is a huge deal for me since I hate the idea of using a milk crate or one of those new fancy milk crates type things to carry my gear (you might do the mod on the older outbacks, but likely not going to have an easy time accessing what you stick in there without the vantage seat).

Comment

Working...
        X