Retractable Anchor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retractable Anchor!

I noticed alot of guys use retractable anchors and I was thinking about going that route also but I can't seem to find any quick release options when using this setup. I was just wondering if anyone have found any solutions to this problem? Thx in advance...
    Croaker D

Orange Camo OK Trident 13

Green Camo Oldtown Predator PDL

I'm not certain if this is what you are asking but my anchor is attached to a retractable clothes line reel with the clothes line replaced with braided anchor line. I also tie that to the BOTTOM hole on the folding anchor and then run the line up the shaft and attach again at the top hole with the smallest zip tie I can find. The zip tie holds fine for normal anchor deployment, but if I get it snagged, I can pull hard enough to break the zip tie and now my anchor line is pulling from the bottom of the anchor. I have seen many options for attaching the breakaway at the top hole. Some people use a stainlees key ring. There is an ANCHOR SAVER product but it seems to be way over priced for a Yak.
    Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

Thx Mikelreidd , but what I am talking about is if you hook into a big fish and he wants to take you on a ride and your anchor is holding position have anyone came up with or is there anyway to setup a quick release system to release the anchor and come back to it while using the retractable clothesline system? I have been beating my brain trying to figure this out! Is it even possible or am I beating a dead horse?
      Croaker D

Comment

I suppose you could have a retractable (pet leash type) with a big float attached to it and then a d-ring attaching it to your kayak. Just release the d-ring and hopefully the float is enough to support the whole pet leash retractor in the water. Another idea is what this guy did, basically you have ten foot lengths of anchor rope with loops at the end and then a float/d-ring at the kayak you can release.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/f...anchor+trolley
        Green Old Town Loon 111
        Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Understand now. Same issue for me. I think I spent half a day on Youtube looking for solutions. The only thing I saw, which I hate, is that I keep my anchor bouy on the line with a knot at the end so it cannot come off. Keep my braided snippers handy to cut my anchor line if needed, then come back to the bouy. Never tried it. My fear is that I cannot pull all the line out of the spool, cut it, hope I remember to release the Z-Cleat, and still keep the fish in play. I have visions of a classic blunder. Braided line wrapped around my body, yak tipped over while I am in the water trying to decide which to cut, my anchor line, my braided line, or my throat out of embarassment.
          Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

Mepps3 got me thinking. Since I have a decent anchor bouy, maybe all I need to do is devise a quick release for my anchor spool. Then all I have to do is release the spool, the cleat, and the caribiner on the trolley ring.
            Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

Yes Mikelreidd if you cut that line you will not get it back with no way to open the clothes line compartment! Uhhh such a great solution to having your anchor line managed and controlled but also seem a little dangerous to me also without a quick release! Dammmmmmnnnn
              Croaker D

Comment

Do you think if you put a float on the clothesline and it is submerged in water a few times it will still function properly?
                Croaker D

Comment

Prally' not very long. It is an outdoor clothes line reel made to be in the weather, however, that spring has to be metal. This is starting to become comical. Now I have to devise a quick release for the reel AND drainage holes. Rethinking this. Maybe I need to ditch the clothes line reel and switch to a scuba reel.
                  AQURR.JPG
                  Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

Are you guys planning on catching tuna on anchor? You should be able to catch 95% of fish without pulling anchor. Use a grapple for rivers and a danforth for sand and a fish is gonna have to pull reallllllly hard to dislodge you. Once you pull anchor the fish is much more likely to run further and snag up and will generally just be harder to land than when at anchor. I have caught plenty of big catrfish and bass with one of those cheapo $10 grapple anchors, $2 clothesline tied to an iced tea jug as a float with a tiny carabiner to the paddle bungee on the side of my hobie. Once anchored, I just use my rudder to keep me straight in the current and eliminate swing. When not in use I just wind the line around the ice tea tug and throw it in my crate.
                    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Scuba reels sound great I think alot of ppl from the UK use them in the anchor systems!
                      Croaker D

Comment

Agree. Seems like the Australians are pretty ingenius when it come to yak gear and improvising.
                        Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

When you fish a lot of pilings or other structure in heavy current, it does become absolutely necessary to have a quick release with your anchor line on a float for retrieval. Something like the Harken Micro Cam-Matic Cleat is what you want. Or a simple solution I have used in the past is a Niteize figure 9 cord tensioner (if you don't want to permanently attach a cam cleat).

Comment

Had a Figure 9 in my hand last week and put it back on the shelf.....go figure.
                            Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

Working...
                            X