Beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginners

I don't necessarily consider myself a kayak beginner, but I also am not extremely experienced as I've never kayak fished saltwater. Have the forum moderators ever considered a discussion area just for beginners? A place to post those types of questions about starting out for kayaks, gear, fishing methods (like trolling), etc...? While I feel everyone here is always very helpful, I think segregating these questions to one discussion area could benefit a lot of our current and future members.
    Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Originally posted by whiskerfish View Post
    I don't necessarily consider myself a kayak beginner, but I also am not extremely experienced as I've never kayak fished saltwater. Have the forum moderators ever considered a discussion area just for beginners? A place to post those types of questions about starting out for kayaks, gear, fishing methods (like trolling), etc...? While I feel everyone here is always very helpful, I think segregating these questions to one discussion area could benefit a lot of our current and future members.
    I think more people are beginners than you realize. The sport is exploding with new folks all the time. And really, we're all learning new things all the time, so I think you're in the right section.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

I still consider my self a beginner. I am more into saltwater thus the handle. When it comes to the salt there is a lot more info you need to obtain, tides, winds, and how you will handle both. Head winds on departure or return need to be defined. There are those on this site who are experienced on the salt. I am sure they will respond. In the mean time, plan your trips, let someone else know of your plans, report to those, research departure and return, and enjoy the ride, you will find there is nothing better then the salt. From my brief experience as a salt lover, their is something about the salt that I continue to return to experience more.
      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Yak/Salty, thanks much for the reply. This post was less about me and more about folks that may not want to post and ask "newb" questions because they see so many people talking about trolling for rock fish or fishing a yak tourney. I just personally think there should be a beginner section that is less intimidating.
        Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Comment

I think you will find that Newbies are always welcome to ask any question and never intimidated on this site. Unlike other sites there are very few restictions and those on this site are more than willing to help, new and experienced as well. Right now stripers are big, as the season moves on you will see all types of fish and locations talked about and posted.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I totally agree with salty dog. I joined the group last fall with no kayak experience and limited fishing experience. I started posting some very basic questions and got tons of good response. I have also hooked up with a great group that are not only fun to be with but are ready to share little tidbits to increase by skills. So, all you "newbies" just jump in and ask your qxs. You will get answers.
            John Rentch
            Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
            Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Ok guys, I was new here once too and everyone is great at helping. Was just a thought, thanks. :-)
              Anthony

Redfish 12 Angler

Comment

I have to agree with the consensus.

The whole place is beginner friendly. Don't be intimidated, jump in this place is filled with kind and helpful people. I have never found anyone unwilling to help a beginner concerning any subject. I have never found anyone making a beginner feel uncomfortable or stupid for asking a question. A breath of fresh air in internet land.

Comment

I agree, I am a complete newbie just getting my brand new kayaks 2 months ago and you guys rock!!!
                  Croaker D

Orange Camo OK Trident 13

Green Camo Oldtown Predator PDL

Comment

We're all newbies ........... Everyone learns from everyone else no matter how long you've been on the water ......... Some of the best ideas come from the least experienced sometimes simply because they see it in a new way that was not learned by the experienced guys

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                      We're all newbies ........... Everyone learns from everyone else no matter how long you've been on the water ......... Some of the best ideas come from the least experienced sometimes simply because they see it in a new way that was not learned by the experienced guys
                      +1 ...and I've been yak fishing saltwater over five years.
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I am new and everyone is helpful and when you see snaggedliners out and about they seem like old friends.
                        Brian
                        White Marsh MD
                        Tan Ascend fs12t

Comment

Working...
                        X