Safety Question!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Question!!

I was wondering if it was mandatory to wear a life vest at all times on a kayak, or if the same boating policies applied to where you needed to have it easily available. Just a question!
    Zach Bennett
    Linthicum MD
    2014 Hobie Outback
    Instagram: YakinZak
    Youtube: YakinZak
    Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

It's not mandatory to wear it; you just need to have it in on the kayak with you. I suggest you always wear it. Even in calm water something could happen that renders you unconscious (hit by a boater, medical condition, etc.) and if you don't have it on, it'll likely end badly.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Oh i always wear it and probably always will, i was just curious because i see a lot of youtube videos with people not wearing them while filming
      Zach Bennett
      Linthicum MD
      2014 Hobie Outback
      Instagram: YakinZak
      Youtube: YakinZak
      Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

Need to have one readily available onboard unless its a Type V inflatable in which case it has to be worn on you at all time once on your way.

See Md regulations for details: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/p...ionvessels.pdf

Outback 2015
        Maui

Comment

Yeah, as they already posted, you need to have one on the kayak. I ALWAYS wear mine and I swim like a fish. I didn't wear it the first couple times out on Tridelphia when I bought my kayak, and got "mentored" on here about that. It just makes sense to always have it on. Even in the hottest of days, it doesn't bother me to wear it.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

It's funny this got posted today. I looked at an old picture and I wasn't wearing my PFD in the winter. It was sitting right next to me. I cringed when I saw that photo today. I could have used a mentor back then. I think we all chip in and give the right advice these days.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

In tidal and open water I wear it all the time. On the upper Potomac I do not wear it when it is hot and when fishing with friends. If fishing alone, its on even if its stinking, fringing hot. Most water on the Upper Potomac I fish is 5' or less and and I stand up, or can be in water I can stand up in seconds.

But when the water is cold and I am out hunting in the winter its dry top and waist waders. Then PFD over it and then the jacket.

My rule is if the water is cold, deeper than you can stand or you are alone you should have the PFD on at all times.
              "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Working...
              X