Severn Monday 5/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Monday 5/4

Going to launch from Jonas green around 7 am all welcome.

i may be able to join in on the fun
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2014 Jackson Kilroy

Comment

Looking forward to it.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Be there at 7
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Im going to go in the afternoon

Comment

its 7:30 and i just got home . trying to get everything together and being there by noonish
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2014 Jackson Kilroy

Comment

Winds are supposed to pick up around that time hopefully its not too bad

Comment

The winds picked up substantially in the afternoon. But at 7:00 a.m. it was very smooth. In fact, I thought I saw a cruise ship heading into the Severn. Turned out to be a yacht, I think:

A.jpg

I'm not used to seeing boats that large in our fishing area. There was actually a lot of boat traffic today.

Five of us had a good start to the morning. The fish were willing and plentiful. Harry, John Rentch, John Veil, Hugo and I boated somewhere between 80 and 90 stripers in roughly 4 hours of fishing.

John Veil caught the most and the largest with 28 fish including several over 20 inches and one at 27 inches.

John Rentch and Harry also broke the 20 inch mark.

I believe Hugo and I were the only ones to not catch a 20 inch fish. We both had several at 19 inches. I had 3 at 19 and quite a few at 17 and 18 inches. Most of my catches were those chunky fish that pull very hard. But I also had a few dinks which I did not see last week. I finished the day with 26 stripers.

My paddle tails out fished my X-Rap today by a 3 to one margin. I trolled two lines. One with a paddle tail and one with an X-Rap for most of the day.

I believe dtandrade was preparing to launch as we were leaving the parking lot to go home.

I hope the building winds were not a large impediment to him and that the stripers were as agreeable for him as they were for us this morning.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Got out there and sure enough the winds picked up and made fishing tough, caught 1 for my troubles, glad to hear you all had a good morning

Comment

My morning started out with a bang. 15 minutes after deploying the trolling lines, my right front rod went down hard. I kept pedaling while reeling in the fish. The fish was half way to the boat, when the front left rod began dancing vigorously too. I quickly reeled the first fish in and saw that it had taken the paddletail fully into its mouth. It would not be a quick release. I put the fish in the footwell and reeled in the second fish, which was even larger. I tried to get a photo of the larger fish, but because there were two fish and two rods between me and the Propel drive, I was unable to hold the Hawg Trough far enough away to get the entire fish in the shot. It measured out at 27". The first fish measured at 23.5". That was the highlight of the day.

001.jpg

Although I caught plenty of other fish, nearly all were between 16" and 18". Nevertheless it was an enjoyable day with plenty of pullage and the opportunity to see my fishing buddies wind in fish too.

The next photo shows my three styles of paddletails used today. The top one is a 12 Fathom 4" Fat Sam mullet. This lure caught the 27" fish. The same lure in pearl white caught the 23.5" fish. The next paddletail is a 4.5" BPS Saltwater Sally shad. I use these quite a bit in the spring in assorted colors. The bottom lure is an old 6" paddletail left over from a few years ago. I paired it with an unusual Roadrunner-style jighead that I think is 3/4-oz. The other rods had 1/2-oz jigheads. All four rods caught fish today.

002.jpg

One of the fish I caught today spit up several 5"-6" partially digested menhaden on which it had recently fed. The slightly longer and thicker paddletails I was using as compared to the other guys may have tempted the larger fish.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Another banger of a day on the Severn. Beautiful early morning, flat seas and warm. I didn't wear my waders for the first time. I did have some booties on with my crocks and was very confortable. Only got seven this morning,but still had a great time. Plus we all went to a local eatery for a $6.50 lunch buffet. Went home with a full belly and then a nap!
                      John Rentch
                      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Was a great day!

Comment

Nice! I was there yesterday and landed 7 fish 16-21" trolling bucktails tipped with twisters and paddle tails. Seemed to prefer both white and charteuse equally. Glad to hear there are some bigger ones swimming around. Gonna have to head back one evening this week.
                          Zach
                          Annapolis, MD
                          Rudow's FishTalk Magazine
                          Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5
                          Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13
                          Old Town Topwater PDL 106
                          Native Watercraft Redfish 10

Comment

Congratulations all, looks like the fish are still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                              The winds picked up substantially in the afternoon. But at 7:00 a.m. it was very smooth. In fact, I thought I saw a cruise ship heading into the Severn. Turned out to be a yacht, I think:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15552[/ATTACH]

I'm not used to seeing boats that large in our fishing area. There was actually a lot of boat traffic today.

Five of us had a good start to the morning. The fish were willing and plentiful. Harry, John Rentch, John Veil, Hugo and I boated somewhere between 80 and 90 stripers in roughly 4 hours of fishing.

John Veil caught the most and the largest with 28 fish including several over 20 inches and one at 27 inches.

John Rentch and Harry also broke the 20 inch mark.

I believe Hugo and I were the only ones to not catch a 20 inch fish. We both had several at 19 inches. I had 3 at 19 and quite a few at 17 and 18 inches. Most of my catches were those chunky fish that pull very hard. But I also had a few dinks which I did not see last week. I finished the day with 26 stripers.

My paddle tails out fished my X-Rap today by a 3 to one margin. I trolled two lines. One with a paddle tail and one with an X-Rap for most of the day.

I believe dtandrade was preparing to launch as we were leaving the parking lot to go home.

I hope the building winds were not a large impediment to him and that the stripers were as agreeable for him as they were for us this morning.

Old Guys rule 80 - 90 fish!!! Awesome day - sorry I had to bail at the last minute. Next weeks meeting of the OGWLF, I'll be there.

T
                              Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Working...
                              X