Newbie needing trolling advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needing trolling advice.

Hey there guys I initially bought my kayak to flyfish out of but after reading this forum daily for over a month I have decided to troll for some striper.
    I have the rod mounts and the kayak set up and ready to go but what I am wondering is where do I troll? Do I paddle along the shore line? Go out to deeper water? Do I paddle aimlessly?

A little about my setup:
    Tarpon 120
    2 Scotty rod holders
    NO FISh FINDER

I have bought some paddle tails bucktails and xraps and plan to be traveling from reston to hit Jonas green or spsp on Sunday. Any advice would be great thanks!
    2014 Tarpon 120

Believe it or not, aimless paddling will probably work right now. The stripers are numerous.

But for safety as much as anything you probably want to stay out of the main boating channels of the areas you mentioned.

There are lots of fish in water 5 to 10 feet. Since you do not have a depth finder stay within normal casting distance of the shoreline in the Severn and you will probably be in that depth of water.

1/2 oz. jig heads with 4 to 5 inch trailers are working well. See some of the recent posts here about the Severn or Ft. Smallwood and look at the photos of the lures.

Color preferences can vary daily or multiple colors can work simultaneously. Most of us use yellow, chartreuse or white trailers. But other colors will work.

Worry more about line control and depth of your lure than speed. You cannot paddle too fast or too slow to disinterest a hungry striper. If you feel the lure bumping bottom, reel in some line. If you are getting no strikes, let some line out to get deeper without hitting the bottom.

I can't offer advice abut SPSP locations because I have never launched my kayak there.

Good luck,
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Check out Alan Battista's (yakfish) book Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay.
      Awesome book! Lots of info.
      Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
      Chris

Pompano 120
      Pescador 10

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm excited to,try my hand at some stripers
        2014 Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
        X